Environmental Assessment from 100m north of King Street to 300m north of Huntsmill Drive, Caledon
Notice of study completion
September 23, 2021 – The Region of Peel has completed a Class Environmental Assessment (Class EA) Study for Airport Road from 100m north of King Street to 300m north of Huntsmill Drive in the Town of Caledon. The Study examined alternative solutions and design concepts to address long term issues related to planned future growth, enhance the safety of the Airport Road corridor, and promote infrastructure improvements that facilitate walking and cycling.
The Study was conducted according to the requirements for a Schedule “C” project in the Municipal Engineers Association document titled Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (October 2000, as amended in 2007, 2011 and 2015).
Key recommendations include:
- Reduced lane widths throughout most of the Study corridor
- Roundabouts at Castlederg Side Road-Boston Mills Road and Cranston Drive
- Layby parking with streetscaping from Caledon Trailway to Walker Road
- Combination of multi-use paths and sidewalks in urban areas and paved shoulders in rural areas
- Improved cycling and pedestrian crossings at intersections
- Improved sidewalk on the north side and new multi-use path on the south side of Old Church Road from Airport Road to Marilyn Street
The Town of Caledon is initiating an urban design study of the Caledon East Village core along the Airport Road corridor. The purpose of this study is to provide an urban design vision and guidance on area character to assist the Town with its site plan and development requirements. Through this separate study, the Region of Peel will work with the Town of Caledon on possible future private access options to address safety concerns associated with the west leg of the Airport Road and Old Church Road intersection.
Environmental study report
The Environmental Study Report documents the planning, public and agency consultations, preliminary design and decision-making process undertaken for the project and will be available for review for 33 calendar days starting September 23, 2021 and ending on October 25, 2021.
If you have questions or comments about the project, please contact the project manager.
- Environmental study report
- Appendix A – Consultation plan
- Appendix A1 – Public consultation
- Appendix A2 – Indigenous communities consultation
- Appendix A3 – Agency consultation
- Appendix A1 and A3 – Consultation continuation
- Appendix B1 – Transportation study report
- Appendix B2 – Old Church Road extension traffic update
- Appendix B3 – Roundabout traffic and safety assessment and functional design review report
- Appendix B4 – Parking analysis
- Appendix B5-1 – Bicycle level of service
- Appendix B5-2 – Pedestrian level of service
- Appendix C – Natural environment report
- Appendix D – Tree inventory and preservation plan
- Appendix E – Air quality assessment report
- Appendix F – Road traffic noise assessment report
- Appendix G – Stage 1 archaeological assessment report
- Appendix H – Cultural heritage resource assessment report
- Appendix H1 – Heritage impact assessment report
- Appendix I – Contamination overview study report
- Appendix J – Geotechnical and pavement design report
- Appendix K – Fluvial geomorphological assessment report
- Appendix L – Hydrogeological report
- Appendix M – Structural assessment and inspection report
- Appendix N – Stormwater management report
- Appendix O – Detailed evaluation tables
- Appendix P – Preliminary design
The option to extend Old Church Road to Ivan Avenue has been re-evaluated based on consultation with the Public and Town of Caledon. New alternatives were considered in the EA evaluation and a new preliminary preferred plan was identified. Under the new plan, Old Church Road will not be connected at Ivan Avenue. The Town of Caledon will undertake a separate urban design review for the broader area. The Region will continue to work with the Town through this Review on possible future private access options at the intersection. Public consultation and heritage mitigation is included in the scope of this future urban design review.
We will be updating the EA documentation to explain that the ultimate solution for the west leg of the Airport Road and Old Church Road intersection is subject to the Town of Caledon Urban Design Review. We will also document that Old Church Road will not be connected at Ivan Avenue. We will keep you informed of next steps in the EA and look forward to hearing your thoughts throughout the process.
Thank you for your comments on the Airport Road Class EA. The Project Team is currently examining the publicly suggested option of not connecting the Old Church Road extension at Ivan Avenue. Given the public interest, we are working with our Consultant and the Town of Caledon to assess and compare this option to the other alternatives considered. We will keep you informed of this review through future updates on this website, and we welcome your comments at any point during this EA process.
A virtual live PIC 2 session was held on Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Live online presentation
- Live Online Session - Summary of Questions, Comments and Responses
- Summary of community input
- Summary of technical study findings
- Olde Base Line Road feasibility study
- Preliminary Assessment of Alternative Design Concepts
- Evaluation criteria
- Corridor sections
- Detailed Assessment - Rural Area (King to Olde Base Line and Leamster to Huntsmill)
- Summary - Rural Area (King to Olde Base Line and Leamster to Huntsmill)
- Detailed Assessment - Transitional Area (Olde Base Line to Hilltop)
- Summary - Transitional Area (Olde Base Line to Hilltop)
- Detailed Assessment - Urban Area (Hilltop to Walker)
- Summary - Urban Area (Hilltop to Walker)
- Detailed Assessment - Transitional Area (Walker to Leamster)
- Summary - Transitional Area (Walker to Leamster)
- Major intersections
- Preliminary preferred design