Recycling is collected every other week. Check your waste calendar for your collection schedule.
Watch how your recycling efforts are making a difference:
Recycling collection guidelines
- Keep garbage, organics and household hazardous waste out of your recycling.
- Put your recyclables in a cart or in clear or blue transparent recycling bags.
- You can put an unlimited amount of recyclables on the curb on your recycling collection day.
If you don’t have garbage and recycling carts, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in your recycling.
These items are a sample of acceptable recyclable items:
- Most paper, plastic, glass and metal containers and packaging
- Magazines, newspaper, and cardboard cartons (small bits or pieces go in the garbage)
- Plastic and glass bottles
- Milk and juice cartons
- Juice boxes
- Plastic cups (straws go in the garbage)
Take the extra step to empty your tubs, containers, bottles and jars.
We cannot separate food from containers at our recycling facility. Full or partially-full containers can't be recycled. They are sent to landfill as garbage.
This information applies to you if your address receives cart-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling carts, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Recycling carts (blue lid)
Recycling carts are available in 3 sizes: small, medium and large.
This video gives an overview of preparing recyclables for your recycling cart.
Using your recycling cart
- Empty and rinse recyclable items and put them directly in your recycling cart.
- Do not put recyclable items inside plastic or grocery bags.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) feet of clear space around cart at curb.
- Make sure the lid is closed. The lid of your recycling cart must be closed for collection.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Do not place carts on top of snow banks.
Some additional tips:
- If your cart is full you can put out unlimited bags of recycling as long as it is in transparent or clear blue bags.
- Excess cardboard must be bundled up to 90 cm x 90 cm (36 in. x 36 in.) and placed 3 ft away from your recycling cart.
- Put plastic grocery bags, plastic newspaper bags and plastic wrapping into one tied plastic bag, then put the tied bag in your recycling cart.
- Separate rolled newspapers from plastic bags and elastics. Flatten the newspaper and put it in your recycling cart and reuse the elastic or put it in the garbage.
- Separate cardboard beverage cases from plastic wrapping. Put the plastic wrapping inside a tied plastic bag. Put the beverage case and the tied bag in your recycling cart.
- Create more space in your cart by:
- Flattening plastic bottles and beverage cartons.
- Folding aluminium trays.
- Flattening small cardboard boxes
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your recycling cart
You can change your recycling cart for a smaller or larger-sized cart. An exchange fee of $25 will apply. Get more details about changing a cart size.
Recycling carts that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Report a cart problem.