Peel Region homepage

Development Charges

Development charges assist in financing capital projects required to meet the increased need for services resulting from growth and development. Development charge funds may only be used for the purpose for which they are collected.

This information is intended to provide general information regarding the Region of Peel's Development Charges By-laws 46-2015 and 45-2001.

For more detailed information on the Bylaws and how they may apply to your property, you are encouraged to contact the Regional Finance Department or your local municipality.

2015 Development Charges By-law Update


The Development Charges Act 1997 (DCA) requires that the Region prepare a background study within one year prior to passing a new development charge by-law. The background study (s. 10(2)) must include:

Regional Council approved By-law 46-2015 on September 10, 2015 in accordance with the requirements of the Development Charges Act, 1997. By-law 46-2015 was approved following the completion of the Region of Peel Development Charge Background Study in May 13, 2015. See also the Ontario Regulation 82/98.

Other information

Development charge revenues will help finance capital projects, related to growth, for the following services:

  • Roads
  • Wastewater
  • Water Supply
  • Police
  • Long Term Care
  • Transhelp (transit for the disabled)
  • Management and Provision of Social Housing
  • Provision of Domiciliary Shelters
  • Paramedics
  • Growth Studies
  • Public Health

The Development Charges rates are adjusted twice annually in accordance with the Stats Canada Construction Price Index (Catalogue 62-007). These adjustments are made on February 1 and August 1.

Current Indexed Development Charge Rates (PDF)

The Region of Peel also collects development charges for GO Transit services under a separate By-law.

The development charges imposed under these by-laws shall be payable on the date that a permit under the Building Code Act is issued in relation to a building or structure on the land to which the development charge applies.

As of February 1, 2016, the preceding requirements on when a development charge is payable have been adjusted such that residential development charges for hard services (roads, water and wastewater) are payable at the time of the execution of subdivision agreement as described in section 6(2) of By-law 46-2015. This requirement does not apply to apartment construction. Residential development charges for soft services and apartments; and development charges for all non-residential development shall remain payable on the date that a building permit is issued. To begin the payment process for residential hard service development charges (except apartments), please visit the link below:

Where a development requires an approval described in section 4 of By-law 46-2015 after the issuance of a building permit and no development charge has been paid, then the development charge shall be paid prior to the granting of the approval required under this section.

Section 43 of DCA 1997 requires that the Treasurer of each municipality provide annually to Council a financial statement relating to the development charge reserve funds further described in O.Reg. 82/98 Section 12 and 13, including: description of services funded under the municipalities development charge by-law; opening and closing balances; disclosure of all development charge credits issued that may affect reserve balances; and a list of projects that have been financed from development charge reserves.

Please be advised that all inquiries relating to compliance letters for plans of subdivision requests are to be sent to:

Region of Peel
Finance Department, Corporate Finance Division
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A 2nd floor
Brampton ON L6T 4B9
Attention: Peter Rebellati

Phone: 905-791-7800, ext. 4439 Fax: 905-791-2497.

On December 12, 2013 Regional Council approved a fee increase for compliance letters for plans of subdivision to $100 per property. Your attention to this matter will ensure that these requests for compliance will be processed promptly.

Region of Peel, Finance Department
Peter Rebellati 905-791-7800, Ext. 4439

City of Mississauga, Planning and Building Department
905-615-3200 Ext. 5523

City of Brampton, Finance Department 
Colleen Durston 905-874-2255 
Maggie Huang 905-874-3349

Town of Caledon, Corporate Services Department
Glendon Turner 905-584-2272, Ext 4153