Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program
We're providing funding for developers to build affordable rental housing in Peel
This capital grant program is designed to support private and non-profit developers building affordable rental housing.
We are offering up to $10 million in funding for the 2023 Call for Applications.
Upcoming program launch
The 2023 Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program Call for Applications is launching June 13!
Check back on launch day for full program details and application materials.
2023 eligibility requirements
- Applicants must propose a minimum of 5 affordable units.
- Affordable refers to the program definition, which is 100% of median market rent by local municipality.
- The unit mix of the affordable units must generally align with the building unit mix (with some flexibility to provide larger units in place of smaller units).
- Units receiving incentives must be maintained as affordable for a minimum of 25 years.
- The entire building must operate as rental for the duration of the agreement.
- Applicants must have experience developing housing and managing rental housing or retain the services of an organization with that expertise.
- At minimum, applicants must have participated in a pre-application consultation meeting with the applicable local municipality.
Additional program details for applicants
We’ve provided helpful information about the program to help you complete your submission.
Access additional program information.
These projects participated in the Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program and were approved by Regional Council to receive funding:
- 40 Lagerfeld Dr., Brampton
- 4094 Tomken Rd., Mississauga
In 2018 we completed a Housing Strategy and Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan (PHHP). We identified a need for more affordable housing for low and middle-income households. 30% of all Peel households face affordability challenges.
The goal of the PHHP is to work with our partners to increase affordable housing and prevent chronic homelessness.
The PHHP includes 5 pillars to help people get and keep housing:
- Transform service
- Build more community housing
- Maximize planning tools and incentives
- Optimize existing stock
- Increase supportive housing.
This program advances pillar 3, maximize planning tools and incentives, and targets low- and middle-income households. This program also supplements other affordable housing initiatives, including Peel’s Housing Master Plan.
Regional Council approved the Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program on July 9, 2020, based on recommendations from the technical report and final report.
Peel Region launched a competitive, criteria-based application process for the Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program in 2021. We also hosted a launch event on May 18, 2021. Contact us to receive a copy of the presentation.
The pilot program closed July 2021, and Regional Council approved funding for 3 successful projects to receive capital grants to create 130 affordable housing.
On November 22, 2021, Regional Council passed by-laws allowing for funding under the pilot program to create 130 affordable rental housing units (52 in Brampton and 78 in Mississauga). The rent for these units will be offered at an affordable rate for a period of 26 to 41 years. Access the Regional Council report.
On July 7, 2022, Regional Council approved the pilot program as a permanent program, now named the Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program. Access the Regional Council report.
- Peel makes affordable housing incentives pilot program permanent
- Region of Peel giving $2.5 million in grant funding to incentivize developers to build affordable rentals
- Peel Region Launches Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program Incentivizing Affordability
- Region encouraging middle-income housing for Brampton, Mississauga
- Peel Launches Annual Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program
- Peels grant for building affordable rentals becomes permanent, to launch in fall
Pilot program background materials
Local municipal housing studies, strategies, and resources
If you would like to receive updates about the affordable rental incentives program, email us.
If you need a housing subsidy, or are looking to access an affordable housing unit, visit Housing or call 905-453-1300 to speak to a staff member.
Call for Applications closes on November 4. Applications now under review.
Kick-off event on September 7 before the Call for Applications on September 13.
Regional Council approves the 2022 Peel Affordable Rental Incentives Program.
January to May 2022
Staff evaluate the program.
Regional Council passes by-laws authorizing funding for 130 affordable units.
Staff review applications.
Call for applications closes on July 12.
Launch event on May 18 before launching the pilot program on May 31.
Regional Council endorses the pilot program framework on July 19.
Second stakeholder consultation is held on May 12.
N. Barry Lyon Consultants (NBLC) are retained to help develop the program. We host our first stakeholder consultation on September 19.
Regional Council endorses the Peel Housing Homelessness Plan.