This information applies to you if your address receives bin-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling bins, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Garbage bins (gray lid)
This video gives an overview of preparing garbage for your garbage bin.
Using your garbage bin
- Close lids on all bins to avoid spills.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space around bin at curb.
- To avoid odour and spills, to put garbage in plastic bags before putting into the bin (optional).
- During winter, do not place bins on top of snow banks.
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your garbage bin
You can change your garbage bin for a smaller or larger-sized bin. An exchange fee of $25 will apply. Get more details about changing a bin size.
Garbage bins that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Report a bin problem.
These items are a sample of acceptable garbage items:
- Aluminum foil
- Bread and milk tags
- Chewing gum
- Pet waste
- Absorbent pads from meat trays
- Feminine hygiene products
- Coffee cups
- Plastic cereal and cracker box liners
- Shrink wrap
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in the garbage.