Garbage is collected every other week. Check your collection calendar for your pickup day or sign up to get free weekly waste collection reminders.
This information applies to you if your address receives bin-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling bins, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Garbage bins (gray lid)
This video gives an overview of preparing garbage for your garbage bin.
Using your garbage bin
- Close lids on all bins to avoid spills.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space around bin at curb.
- To avoid odour and spills, to put garbage in plastic bags before putting into the bin (optional).
- During winter, do not place bins on top of snow banks.
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your garbage bin
You can change your garbage bin for a smaller or larger-sized bin. You will be charged an exchange fee of $25. Get more details about changing a bin size.
Garbage bins that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Request a bin repair.
These items are a sample of acceptable garbage items:
- Aluminum foil
- Bread and milk tags
- Chewing gum
- Pet waste
- Absorbent pads from meat trays
- Feminine hygiene products
- Coffee cups
- Plastic cereal and cracker box liners
- Shrink wrap
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in the garbage.