Garbage is collected every other week. Check your collection calendar for your pickup day.
This information applies to you if your address receives cart-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling carts, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Garbage carts (gray lid)
This video gives an overview of preparing garbage for your garbage cart.
Using your garbage cart
- To avoid odour and spills, it is preferred to put garbage in plastic bags before putting into the cart but it is not mandatory.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space around cart at curb.
- Make sure the lid is closed. The lid of your garbage cart must be closed for collection.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Do not place carts on top of snow banks.
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your garbage cart
You can change your garbage cart for a smaller or larger-sized cart. An exchange fee of $25 will apply. Get more details about changing a cart size.
Garbage carts that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Report a cart problem.
These items are a sample of acceptable garbage items:
- Aluminum foil
- Bread and milk tags
- Chewing gum
- Pet waste
- Absorbent pads from meat trays
- Feminine hygiene products
- Coffee cups
- Plastic cereal and cracker box liners
- Shrink wrap
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in the garbage.