Guide for delegations
Any individual who wishes to appear before a committee or council meeting may request to do so by notifying the Regional Clerk's office.
Requests can be made in writing or by downloading and completing the Request for Delegation form (PDF), at least one week prior to the Council or Committee meeting for the purpose of listing your name and the topic on the appropriate agenda.
Written notice from a delegation must include the following:
- Complete name of the presenter(s) and contact information (i.e., address, e-mail, telephone/fax number)
- Reasons for the delegation including the specific nature of their presentation
- And if applicable, the name, address and telephone number of any person, corporations or organizations which he or she represents
Staff from the Office of the Regional Clerk will inform the requester of Council's decision, and will confirm the date and time of the meeting to which the delegation is directed.
Delegations to Council or Committee are limited to 5 minutes and 10 minutes respectively. Please refer to the Meeting Calendar for Council/Committee meetings for the year (Region of Peel Procedure By-law).
Delegations should prepare their presentation material using accessible formatting:
- Use large font size (18 points or higher)
- Include only a few bulleted points per slide
- Use a high contrast colour scheme such as black or dark blue text on white background
- Images or graphics should include captions or alternative text (help making PowerPoint presentations accessible)
- Submit electronic copies of all background material/presentations to the Clerk's Division at least 7 business days prior to the meeting date otherwise you will be required to provide 45 hardcopies of all materials prior to the meeting date. These copies will be included in the agenda to be distributed to the Members of Council prior to the Committee or Council meeting.
We encourage you to e-mail the electronic copies of your presentations to the Clerk's Division at email@example.com to avoid last minute problems.
If these arrangements are not possible, please contact the Office of the Regional Clerk at 905-791-7800, ext. 4526.
Council Chamber's technology
The Council Chamber's technology includes:
- Computer networking for projection
- Visual/audio aids
Please indicate on the Request for Delegation form if you require the use of the Council Chamber technology for your presentation.
Council and Committee meeting days
- On the Committee or Council meeting day, persons appearing as a delegation are requested to go to the Clerk's Reception to confirm their attendance at the meeting.
- When called upon by the Regional Chair or Committee Chair, persons appearing before Committee or Council shall sit at the delegation table located in the Council Chamber located at 5th Floor, Regional Headquarters, 10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite A, Brampton.
- After a delegation has completed its presentation, Members of Council or Committee shall have opportunity to ask questions of the delegation for clarification purposes only, without debate.