This hotel conversion will bring 67 affordable housing units to Brampton.
- Applications open
Birch Place will provide affordable rental housing and youth transitional housing with targeted services and support.
Construction is actively in progress and expected to be complete late 2023.
Applications are now open for the affordable rental housing units. Apply through Victoria Park Community Homes here.
5 Rutherford Road South is in Ward 3 in Brampton and is near:
- Grocery stores and restaurants
- Medical clinics and banks
- Brampton transit
Since 1984, Birch Place has operated as a 2-storey hotel. This project involves converting the existing commercial hotel to affordable rental housing.
This conversion is anticipated for construction completion in 2023.
This project will create 67 affordable housing units, including 50 rental units and 17 transitional housing units for youth ages 16 to 24. Youth transitional housing is a need identified in the Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan.
Birch Place is centrally located on a major transit corridor near amenities, services, and employment opportunities. This project will contribute towards addressing Brampton’s demonstrated need for housing supports and help close the gap for affordable rental housing.
We are committed to creating healthy living spaces. Once complete, Birch Place will have:
- Outdoor amenity spaces for all tenants.
- Indoor program space with services and supports for youth transitional housing tenants.
- Indoor common area for affordable rental tenants.
- Improved accessibility including adding accessible parking spots, ramps, elevators and hand rails.
- Fully barrier-free common spaces.
- Dedicated barrier-free units.
- Indoor multi-purpose room for tenants.
- New flooring, finishes, and fixtures.
- Improved safety including walkways, pedestrian crossing, railings and lighting.
- Bike racks.
- Common laundry rooms.
- Energy efficiency upgrades including high efficient heating, air-conditioning, ventilation, domestic hot water and other building envelope upgrades.
- October 2023: Council approves Birch Place as the project’s official name.
- April 2022: Construction begins.
- December 2021: City of Brampton Council passes the Zoning By-law Amendment.
- November 2021: Peel takes ownership of the property. The City of Brampton’s Planning & Development Committee approves the zoning recommendation for by-law amendment approval by City of Brampton Council.
- September 2021: The public meeting information report is received at the City of Brampton’s Planning & Development Committee for information.
- July 2021: Peel Region procures Consulting Design and Construction Contract Administration Services.
- June 2021: Regional Council approves the total project funding to proceed with the conversion.
- April 2021: Peel Region secures a Planning and Environmental Consultant.
- November 2020: Staff assess sites and identify Birch Place in Brampton as a property that meets the criteria of the program.
- October 2020: $30.4M is allocated to Peel to create at least 61 units of affordable rental housing through the Cities Stream of the Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI).
Review the Regional Council and Committee reports related to Birch Place