Active transportation focuses on strategies for walking and biking.
Active transportation refers to the use of human power to travel between places. Walking, cycling, using a wheelchair, in-line skating and skateboarding are all forms of active transportation.
Why Use Active Transportation?
Using active transportation can improve your health and well-being by:
- Keeping you physically active on a regular basis.
- Lowering your blood pressure.
- Increasing your energy.
- Increasing your muscle strength.
- Lowering your stress levels.
Save money and help the environment
You'll save money and cause less wear and tear on our roads each time you leave your vehicle at home. Active transportation also cuts down on:
- Greenhouse gases
- Air pollution
- Noise pollution
- The need for new parking lots and roadways
For more information, contact Judy L. Yack, Specialist, Transportation Demand Management
Walk + Roll Peel is a joint initiative of the Region of Peel, the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon.
Walk Roll Peel delivers programs in support of the Sustainable Transportation Strategy.
It also works to get more people walking and cycling in Peel by:
- Raising awareness of the benefits of walking and cycling.
- Promoting the trails and paths in Peel's neighbourhoods and communities.
- Building knowledge about skills and safety relating to walking and cycling.
Walk + Roll Peel website
- An interactive Peel Trails Map for finding existing trails and bike lanes throughout Peel.
- An events calendar for community events in Peel related to walking, cycling, and transportation.
- News about initiatives related to walking and cycling happening in Peel
- Useful walking and cycling tips.
Bike Month is a celebration of biking: an opportunity for people to try riding a bike for the first time, learn new skills, or simply have fun and connect safely with others.
It’s taking the time to rekindle the youthful magic of exploring your neighbourhood by bike or sharing that joy with the next generation of bike riders.
Bike Month 2021 is going to be a little different than years past, but there are still going to be plenty of opportunities to get outside, be healthy, and ride a bike.