Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Owner-initiated local improvements

A local improvement is construction project that benefits your neighbourhood.

What qualifies as a local improvement project?

Buying or selling property in Peel?

Call 905-791-7800, ext. 3053 to ask about current and pending local improvement charges.

In Peel Region typical local improvement projects are watermain, sanitary sewer or noise wall projects that happen near or next to private property.

A local improvement project is paid, in whole or in part, by the property owners who are benefitting from it.

In Peel, a local improvement project will qualify only if:

Other information

Local improvement projects can happen on occupied or vacant properties. Peel Region will also consider whether the property will benefit from the service now or in the future.

Step 1: Initiation

Any property owner in Peel can ask for a local improvement.

To initiate a local improvement, a property owner must apply to the Peel Region.

The person who submits the request is called the 'project initiator'.

The application must specify:

  • The property owner's name and contact information.
  • The affected property address.
  • The type of municipal servicing (watermain, sanitary sewer or noise wall).
  • The reason for the request.

Most local improvements are initiated by property owners, but Peel can initiate a local improvement as well.

Download the Initiate a Regional Local Improvement Project application form (PDF)

Email, mail or drop-off your completed application to:

The Regional Municipality of Peel
Public Works
Program Planning
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite B, 4th Flr.
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Tel 905-791-7800

For more information email Public Works.

Step 2: Evaluation

Peel Region will evaluate the request to see if it's technically and financially possible to complete.

For the Region to approve a local improvement project for construction:

  • The project must be technically and financially possible.
  • A sufficient petition must be verified and accepted by the Regional Clerk.
  • All land ownership and easement issues must be resolved.
  • Adequate funding must be available and approved by Regional Council.
  • Region staff must determine if the project is technically and financially feasible Before issuing a petition.

Step 3: Completing and circling the petition

If the project is technically and financially possible, Peel will give an unsigned petition to the project initiator.

This petition will include:

  • The project location and extent.
  • Owners' names and mailing addresses.
  • Descriptions of affected properties.
  • All mandatory and optional fees.
  • Total estimated cost for each property.
  • The petition expiry date.

Circling the petition for signatures

The project initiator is responsible for:

  • Collecting the petition.
  • Circulating the petition to the owners of all affected properties.
  • Returning the completed petition to Peel Region before the stated expiry date.

The project initiator may wish to contact their Regional Councillor during the petition process.

To be considered sufficient and counted in favour of the proposed works, a petition requires:

  • Signatures of owners representing at least two-thirds of the affected properties and representing at least one-half of the assessed property value.
  • Signatures that represent a majority of the owners of each property (i.e., greater than one-half).

After the petition is signed

Once Peel receives a sufficient petition, the proposed local improvement project is subject to available funding and Regional Council approval.

If the petition is sufficient and Council approves the project, all affected properties – regardless of whether or not the owners signed the petition – are assessed the applicable charges and fees.

Peel Region remains neutral on all local improvements. We do not solicit municipal services or encourage or discourage owners from signing a petition.

Local improvements are owner-initiated requests for municipal services administered pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001. The Act offers communities a fair and impartial method of obtaining municipal services by sharing the costs with the municipality.

The Act established the provincial statutory guidelines for the administration of local improvements.

It gives Regional Council the authority to set a by-law to collect the owners' share of the project cost. The exact cost paid each owner for the proposed work is measured according to the Act and Regional policy.

Property owners may pay their share of the project cost through local property taxes over 15 years with interest or through a lump sum payment once the project is complete.

Watermain and sanitary sewer project costs

Peel Region will calculate an estimated project cost for watermain and sanitary sewer projects.

This estimated cost will include:

  • surveying
  • drafting
  • engineering design
  • tendering
  • materials
  • labour
  • equipment
  • inspection
  • contingency fees
  • applicable taxes

The estimated cost is only an estimate. The actual cost will be determined from the lowest bid for the project.

100% of the actual cost will be shared among the benefiting properties. Each property will pay a share of the actual cost based on the lot frontage. If there are irregularly shaped lots, in interest of fairness, Peel will also use total property area to determine the division of the shared costs.

Water main projects

Affected property owners who want a connection will need to hire an independent plumber or contractor (of their own choice and at their own expense) to do the work on private property and/or within the municipal right of way.

The project cost will include each property's water service to the property line, but it won't include the cost of the water service from the property line to the residence.

We recommend that:

  • Properties with less than 500 square metres in total area install a 19-mm service.
  • Properties with greater than 500 square metres install a 25-mm diameter service.

Sanitary sewer projects

The project cost will include each property's sewer lateral from the mainline to the property line but does not include the cost of the sewer service from the property line to the residence. Installation of the sanitary sewer service on the private side is the responsibility of the property owner. The owner must apply to connect the private side service to the lateral at the property line.

Connection administrative fees will also need to be paid in addition to the project costs. Find the latest fees

Water and wastewater rates

Access the current water and wastewater rates

Noise wall projects

Residential properties with reverse frontage (a rear or side lot abutting a regional road) and experiencing a daytime noise level of 60 decibels or higher during daytime hours (i.e. 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.) are eligible for a noise wall under the local improvement process.

There must be at least three properties that would benefit from a noise wall to qualify, and the proposed work is not dependent on whether the lot is occupied or vacant. There is no limitation on the length of assessable reverse frontage.

The cost of a noise wall depends on the height and type of material selected. Peel Region staff will determine a price based on the approved wall type once the project has been tendered and will provide a breakdown of cost per affected property to the project initiator. The Region Peel bases a property owner’s final assessment on 50 per cent of the actual total project cost, with the remaining 50 per cent paid by the Region Peel. Private walls are the responsibility of the property owners. The estimated reverse frontage rates for noise attenuation walls are:

Type Average total cost Average owners' cost
Western Red Cedar $1,500 per metre $750 per metre
Concrete $1,800 per metre $900 per metre