Personal service businesses
What you need to know when opening a new business or making changes to your existing business.
Opening a new business or making changes
If you’re opening a new personal services business in Peel, the Health Protection and Promotion Act of Ontario requires you to notify Peel Public Health at least 14 days before opening.
We must also approve the floor plans for your business.
If you’re making changes to your existing business, such as renovations involving construction, or adding new services, you will need to report these changes to us and submit your plans for review. You must notify us least 14 days before starting construction.Report a new business or changes to a business
To request a property search for a business inspected by Peel Public Health refer to property information request.
The requirements for personal service businesses are based on provincial law, Ontario Regulation 136/18.
A Peel Public Health inspector is required to check that your business is following the regulation. The inspector must be allowed to inspect the shop, even if the owner isn’t there. You can ask to see the inspector’s photo identification.
The inspector will observe your practices and check your premises and equipment to make sure your clients' health isn't being put at risk.
The inspector will also check that you meet infection and prevention control requirements for personal service settings.
If you don't follow the requirements:
- The inspector will educate you on how to meet the requirement.
- You may be ordered to stop providing a service.
- Equipment may be placed on hold from use.
- Approval for your Personal Aesthetics Procedure License may not be given.
- Your shop may be closed.
- Depending on the results of the inspection, a reinspection may be needed.
- Other actions may be taken by the inspector.
Organizing special events
Special event organizers and vendors need to complete an application and submit to Peel Public Health at least 15 days before the event.
These resources are intended for printing.
- Accidental exposure recording form
- Bio sterilizer monitoring
- Cleaning disinfection of reusable equipment – English
- Cleaning disinfection of reusable equipment – Vietnamese
- Disinfection chart using bleach – English
- Disinfection chart using bleach – Vietnamese
- Double dipping
- Needle cartridge for tattooing
- PSS client record
- Sterilizer monitoring