Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Help for people with disabilities

If you have a disability and need help paying for basic needs, you can apply for financial help. This is called Ontario Disability Support (ODSP) and is provided by the Ontario government.

ODSP offers you and your family:

If you're already receiving financial help through ODSP, Peel Region may be able to also help with items such as medical equipment and dental care.

On this page


To be eligible for ODSP, you must be in financial need, and meet the Ontario government's definition of a person with a disability.

What you need

Have your family's identification and documents ready, including:

All family members must be included in the application, and they will need to consent and confirm their information.

How to apply

You can apply online through the Ontario government for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).

Apply for disability support

While waiting for your eligibility to be confirmed, you can also apply for Ontario Works.

You can also apply for ODSP and Ontario Works through your local office. Find a location near you.

Who to contact

If you have questions about this service, you can contact the local Ontario social assistance office.

More information

Completing a Disability Determination Package

If you are financially eligible for ODSP, you will receive a paper Disability Determination Package.

This package must be completed by an approved health care professional, such as your family doctor, a nurse practitioner or a psychologist.

Additional disability benefits

If you receive Ontario Disability Support Program benefits, you may also be eligible for additional help from the Region of Peel.

We can help you pay for items such as:

  • moving costs
  • medical equipment
  • dental care

Find out how to apply for additional disability benefits.

Appeal a decision

If you disagree with a decision you received from ODSP or Ontario Works, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Refer to Ontario's internal reviews and appeals for social assistance for details.