Sustainable Transportation Strategy
The Sustainable Transportation Strategy (STS), approved by Regional Council in February 2018, sets a goal of a 50% sustainable mode share by 2041.
The Peel Region Sustainable Transportation Strategy provides a framework for how the Region will:
- increase the current 37% share of trips by walking, cycling, transit, carpooling and telework in Peel Region, to achieve a 50% sustainable mode share by 2041,
- accommodate growth in a way that prioritizes environmental, societal and economic sustainability, and
- contribute to a Regional transportation system that is safe, convenient, efficient, multi-modal, well-integrated and sustainable.
Improvements that make sustainable travel models viable choices will be important to achieve the Region of Peel's objectives for long-term growth and for healthy and livable communities. The STS builds on the framework established by the 2012 Active Transportation Plan, existing and ongoing plans from the area municipalities, neighbouring municipalities and input from other agencies.
The STS has two accompanying implementation plans, one focusing on active transportation and another focusing on transportation demand management. With their 2018-2022 timelines, the implementation plans lay out the short-term priorities of the STS, such as:
- the locations of new and upgraded walking and cycling infrastructure,
- encouraging and supporting cycling and walking to and from schools, transit hubs, and other community destinations,
- implementation of new carpool lots and targeted carpooling promotion,
- the development of a teleworking toolkit, and
- guidance for new development.
Manager, Sustainable Transportation
Region of Peel
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4405
E-mail Wayne Chan
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite B, 4th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9