Design, standards specification and procedures
The design of municipal services in Peel is based on our design, standards & procedures.
It is intended for consultants, engineers, inspectors and regional staff involved in the design of Regional plants and services, as well as those involved in submitting engineering proposals and agreements for land development.
Specifications and procedures in this manual might not apply in all circumstances. Contact the appropriate Regional staff to consider variances on a case-by-case basis.
The Region must review all plans before construction starts.
Engineers are still responsible for ensuring that a design meets all federal, provincial, regional and local government requirements. This review oes not release engineers from this responsibility.
If you have any questions about Peel’s design, standard specification or procedures, email us or call 905-791-7800 ext. 3253.
Updating the manual
We will update the Public Works Design, Specification & Procedures Manual at the start of each year; however, we can't guarantee that all the information the manual is accurate, complete or current at all times.
The latest revision date will be clearly stated. Updated versions of the manual will include new products that the Region's Technical & Materials Review Committee has accepted.
We will add new or revised standard drawings to any updated sections of the manual, and we may consider amendments to incorporate frequently-used methods and solutions that are not already covered.
Find updates, addendums and criteria for sewers, watermains, LRT, waste management and Regional roads and traffic design:
- Sanitary sewer design criteria (PDF)
- Watermain design criteria (PDF)
- 2009 Watermain & appurtenances updates (PDF)
- 2009 Sanitary sewer & appurtenances updates (PDF)
- Storm sewer design criteria (PDF)
- LRT design criteria addendum (PDF)
- Regional roads and traffic (PDF)
- Waste management (PDF)
This information only applies to work being done on municipal property.
For work taking place on private property, contact the appropriate local municipality for material specifications and standard drawings.
Construction specifications documents outline general conditions, construction specifications and basis of payment for capital works projects in the Region.
Volume 2 contract documents for road, watermain and sanitary sewer projects form part of the contract for capital works projects in the Region.
Region of Peel standard drawings and lists of approved products form part of the contract documents. References are also made to various Ontario provincial standard specifications. These will be considered part of the contract documents where noted.
The latest and applicable version of Supplemental General Conditions Vol. 2.1, shall be as indicated in the Procurement Document and Contract.
- Capital Works – Volume 2 (entire document) (PDF) Contains Supplemental General Conditions Vol. 2.1 (Revised July 2009)– Only for contracts procured prior to July 1, 2018
- OPS – General conditions of contract (PDF)
- Supplemental general conditions (PDF) Supplemental General Conditions Vol. 2.1 (Revised July 2009) – Only for contracts procured prior to July 1, 2018
- Vol 2.1 – Supplemental General Conditions (Please refer to the Procurement Document and Contract for the latest version)
- Vol 2.2 - Watermains specs (PDF)
- Vol 2.3 - Sanitary specs (PDF)
- Vol 2.4 - Spec restoration (PDF)
- Vol 2.5 - Traffic signals, street lights and electrical work (PDF)
- Vol 2.6 - Noise walls (PDF)
Basis of payment
The corresponding Ontario Provincial Standard Drawing (OPSD) applies to areas that do not have an applicable Regional standard drawing.
These standard drawings apply to only work on municipal property:
- Watermain and appurtenances
- Sanitary sewer and appurtenances
- Within proximity of LRT
- Electrical traffic standards
- Roads and traffic
If work will take place on a private property, contact the appropriate local municipality for standard drawings.