Requirements to operate a food premises and details about food handler certification.
Information and resources about the importance of food safety and how to reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
Protecting your customers from food allergy reactions
Food allergy reactions can be prevented. Giving customers accurate ingredient information and using allergy-safe food handling procedures will help to protect customers at your restaurant.
- Peel Food Handler Certification Study Guide
- Food safety: a guide for Ontario food handlers, pages 16 to 22.
- Allergen training for the foodservice and food retail industry
- Food safety tips for caterers
- Restaurants can reduce the risk of food allergy reactions
Under Ontario's O. Reg. 493/17: FOOD PREMISES, every operator of a food service premises must ensure there is at least one person on the premise who has completed the food handler training while it is open.
Peel's food handler certification is not currently offered.
- Approved providers of the safe food handling course from the Ontario government.
- In Good Hands – an online safe food handling training developed by the Thunder Bay District Health Unit that is recognized by the Ministry of Health.
If you are opening a new restaurant or food premises in Peel, the Health Protection and Promotion Act of Ontario requires you to notify Peel Public Health at least 14 days before opening.
We must also approve the floor plans for your business.
If you’re making changes to your existing business, such as renovations involving construction, you will need to report these changes to us and submit your plans for review. You must notify us least 14 days before starting construction.Report a new business or changes to a business
To request a property search for a business inspected by Peel Public Health refer to property information request.
Legislation and other information that applies to your new food premises:
- Ontario Food Premises Regulation (O. Reg 493/17)
- Food Check Peel By-law – disclosure sign posting
- Healthy Menu Choices Act, 2015
- Smoke Free Ontario Act, 2017
- Region of Peel Waterpipe Smoking By-law
- Ontario Fire Code
- Ontario Building Code
- Ontario Liquor License
- Brampton business licensing
- Caledon business licensing
- Mississauga business licensing
Special event organizers and event vendors need to complete an application and submit to Peel Public Health at least 15 days before the event.
These resources are intended for printing.
- Checklist for food operators to pass inspections
- Food safety at special events guidelines
- Food premises cleaning schedule
- Handwashing poster
- Prevent illnesses poster
- Cooking and reheating temperatures for hazardous foods
- Store food safely
- Safe food temperatures
- Cool foods quickly and safely
- Be aware: prepare safe food
- Food safety after a fire
- Food safety during a power outage
Cleaning and sanitizing 2 compartment sink method
- English: 2 compartment sink method
- 清洁和消毒：2隔间水槽法 (Chinese)
- सफाई और स्वच्छता: 2 कम्पार्टमेंट सिंक विधि(Hindi)
- ਸਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ ਅਤੇ ਕੀਟਾਣੂੰ ਮੁਕਤ ਕਰਨਾ: 2 ਕੰਪਾਰਟਮੈਂਟ ਸਿੰਕ ਵਿਧੀ (Punjabi)