Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Replacing your home's water pipe

Know when it’s time for a new private-side pipe.

Your private-side water pipe runs from your property line to inside your house. Homeowners are responsible for maintaining and replacing this pipe. We replace watermains – the large pipes that bring water to your home – when they're in poor condition.

If we're replacing the watermains in your area, consider replacing your private-side water pipe at the same time.

Replacing your water pipe is the best way to ensure you have high-quality tap water.

Your pipes and home are the same age

How long your water pipe lasts depends on:

In most areas of Peel, homes and watermains are about the same age. So if we're replacing the Region-owned watermains in your neighborhood, your privately-owned pipe should likely also be replaced.

Builders install pipes on private property, so we don't know what they're made from, and we can't estimate how long they'll last. We can't replace your private-side water pipe because we don't own it.

If your home was built before 1960, your water service might contain lead. Learn more about drinking water pipe testing for lead.

Deciding to replace your private-side pipe

Call the Building Department in your city or town to see if they have records of your private-side pipes.

This information will help you decide whether you need to consider replacing your water pipe.

If you decide to replace the water pipe in your home, speak to 2 or 3 plumbing contractors to compare their advice.

You or the plumbing contractor you choose will also have to call ON1Call at 1-800-400-2255 or visit Ontario One Call to request an underground locate for your private side pipes.

All plumbers in the Province of Ontario must register with the Ontario College of Trades. Always check that your plumber is certified and registered.