Waste services affected by extreme weather

For the week of January 17, set out your waste 1 day later than your regular collection day.  Get details.

Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Non-potable requests for brownfield development

Where to send notice of intention has changed

A brownfield is an industrial or commercial property that is – or could be – contaminated. Common brownfields are former factories, gas stations, dry cleaners, and land where a chemical spill took place.

A brownfield might need to be cleaned up before it can be redeveloped.

Ontario Ministry non-potable site condition standards

The Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MECP) has developed non-potable site condition standards for brownfield redevelopment.

These standards are for properties where a municipal supply of drinking water is available and there are no wells in the area. Submitting a request ensures that applying non-potable site condition standards will not put local water supplies at risk.

Sending notice of intention for brownfield redevelopment

When a brownfield is being redeveloped for a more sensitive use, such as residential development, the property owner must, under Ontario Regulation 153/04, notify regional municipalities of their intent to use non-potable site condition standards.

In keeping with O.Reg. 407/19 (Amending O.Reg. 153/04) s.13, as of July 1, 2020, the type of municipality to send notice of intention to apply the non-potable groundwater site conditions standards has been revised:

How to submit a non-potable request to the Region of Peel

The following content provides instructions for submitting a non-potable request to the Region of Peel:

  1. Complete the Site Screening Questionnaire for Non-Potable Requests Submitted to The Regional Municipality of Peel.
  2. Email the submission letter and the completed Site Screening Questionnaire to zzg-regionalclerk@peelregion.ca.
  3. The Region of Peel will quickly respond to the applicant to notify them of the 30-day deadline. The 30-day period will commence from the date on the written notice.