Help for paying high water bills
The Water Bill Adjustment Pilot Program can help you pay a high water bill.
Peel Region's Water Bill Adjustment Pilot Program is a limited-term (pilot) program.
The program provides financial help to homeowners with high water bills that are more than 2.5 times higher than average due to leaks or water theft.
Who is eligible
To qualify for the Water Bill Adjustment Pilot Program:
- You must have a Region of Peel residential water bill account.
- The payments on your account must be up-to-date, and you need to have paid your past water bills on time.
- Your water usage must have returned to normal in the billing period after your high bill.
Peel Region homeowners:
- Have 90 days from the date of the high bill to apply.
- Are eligible for this program once every 5 years at the same address.
- May receive financial help for only one high water bill per billing cycle.
Water bills that qualify
All of the following criteria must be met to qualify.
Peel Region can help you with your high water bill only if the higher charge:
- Was caused by a water leak, such as a dripping tap or a burst pipe, or
- Was due to someone stealing water from you (water theft), such as someone using your garden hose to water their lawn or redirecting your water supply to their property without your permission.
- Is 2.5 times higher than your normal water usage. (A Peel Region employee will help you determine this.)
- Your high water bill is $250 or more.
- Your property was not vacant or unoccupied for more than 10 days during the high bill cycle.
If your higher water bill is due to a leak, you must have proof of repairs, such as a receipt from a licensed plumber or a receipt for the purchase of materials used for the repair.
If your high water bill is due to water theft, you must provide a police report or proof of theft such as a video or photos.
A high water bill does not qualify if:
- The high water use was accidental, such as leaving a garden hose or faucet on.
- You knowingly used more water than usual; for example, by having more people using water in your home, or by watering your lawn or filling your pool.
Peel Region homeowners are eligible for this program once every 5 years at the same address.
Peel Region will provide a subsidy equal to 50% of the bill that is above the average bill amount to a maximum subsidy amount of $2,500.00.
For example, if a homeowner’s usual water bill is $250, and their high bill is $1000, the difference is $750.
In this case, Peel Region would subsidize $375, which is 50% of $750.
How to apply
For more information, email email@example.com or call 905-791-7800 ext. 3037.
Online water billing
Get notifications when your water bill is ready and make payments online.