How to Sort Your Waste
This item is household hazardous waste (HHW).
Battery Collection Period (for curbside only)
Batteries are collected at the curb twice a year in the spring and fall. Find your battery pickup day. Sign up to get free weekly waste collection reminders.
- All single-use and rechargeable batteries that weigh less than 5 kg (11 lbs).
- Car batteries and sealed lead acid batteries are not accepted. Take them to a CRC for free disposal.
Preparing for battery collection:
- Tape the ends of all rechargeable and 9V batteries before disposal.
- On your battery pickup day, put single-use and rechargeable batteries in a clear resealable bag.
- Place the bag on top of your closed green bin.
- If you don’t have a green bin, place your bag of batteries beside your recycling bags.
- You can also put the rechargeable batteries individually into bags and those into the bag of batteries to be placed at the curb.
For apartment and condominiums:
- Check with your building’s property management for proper disposal options.
Community Recycling Centres (CRCs)
- Take single-use and rechargeable batteries to a CRC for free disposal.
- Businesses must sign up for the Business Hazardous Waste Program before dropping off batteries at a Peel CRC at a pre-scheduled time.