Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Private Noise Wall Conversion Program

We’re rebuilding and relocating privately-owned noise walls on some Regional roads.

Privately-owned noise walls along Regional roads are built to lower sound levels in backyards. A noise wall must be continuous and solid with no gaps or gates.

As part of the Private Noise Wall Conversion Program, we’re rebuilding and relocating private, pre-selected noise walls that are adjacent to a Regional road.

A fence is usually built for privacy, not noise reduction. Fences can be made from wood or with staggered boards or chain link.

Private noise wall conversion factors

The Region will inspect all private noise walls every 3 years.
Replacement of a private noise wall is based on several factors, including:

During a visual inspection, the noise walls will be rated according to their condition. A wall’s rating helps us determine when it should be converted.

Other structures such as privacy fences and chain link fences do not qualify for the conversion program.

Construction and costs

If a noise wall conversion is happening in your neighborhood, we’ll tell you at least one year before the construction date.

Generally, we will be replacing entire blocks or corridors at a time.   

We’ll also try to coordinate the noise wall conversion with other road work taking place in your area.  

If a noise wall on private property has not been converted, the property owners must keep covering the cost of the wall’s maintenance and repairs.

Once conversion has taken place, the new noise wall will become a Regional asset and the Region will pay for any maintenance and repairs to the new noise wall.

Noise wall replacement materials

The Region is considering cedar wood or concrete composite panels as replacement materials.

We’ll determine the material type based on design standards and other environmental factors. For example, we would consider wood over concrete to avoid cutting down trees where possible.

Communication to the homeowner

We will be responsible for providing all general communication to the homeowners which includes Permission to Enter notifications prior to construction of the noise wall.

Before and After Noise Wall Conversion Example



Applying for a noise wall upgrade

The Noise Wall Conversion Program does not include replacement of deteriorating privacy fences; however, homeowners can apply for a noise wall upgrade as part of our Local Improvement Program.

To determine eligibility, the Region will conduct a noise study along the affected stretch of the existing wall. This study will analyze daytime noise levels to assess if the noise levels are above 60 dBA.

If the stretch qualifies for a noise wall upgrade, the program will issue a petition to determine interest for a noise wall placement. To be successful, a petition requires that at least 3 properties benefit from the new noise wall being installed and that at least 2/3’s of the affected property owners are in favour of the construction.

If successful, property owners would cover 1/2 of the project cost.

Questions about ownership?

If you are unsure if the noise wall belongs to you or the Region, call 905-791-7800.

If your property is not located on a Regional road and you have an issue with your noise wall or fence, please contact the municipality in which you live: the City of Brampton, City of Mississauga, or Town of Caledon.