Water service replacement
Various locations in Brampton. Project 20-1301
Peel Region will be replacing the water service pipe that carries water to your property from the watermain under your street. Watermains are underground pipes that bring tap water from Peel Region’s water treatment plants to your neighbourhood.
Your water service pipe will be replaced to prevent freezing issues that have been associated with your property in the past. These locations include various individual homes on:
- Mill Street North
- English Street
- McCaul Street
- Abell Drive
- Lagrotto Road
- Sunforest Drive
- Kilrea Way
- Iverson Drive
- Kirkhaven Way
- Decker Hollow Circle
- Oxtail Lane
- Rotunda Street
- Sunnyview Road
- Heritage Road
- Mississauga Road
- Embleton Road
- Orangegrove Drive
- Sweetwood Circle
- Lionshead Lookout
- Cotswold Court
We plan to begin this work on April 17, 2023.
Later in the summer, once we have replaced all water service pipes within this project, we will begin repairing any driveways, boulevards, sod (grass), roads, curbs, and sidewalks impacted by this construction work. We expect this construction, including the associated repair work, to be completed by the end of 2023. These timelines are estimates, as weather and other unexpected events may impact our timelines.
All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date.
Contractor and working hours
The work will be completed by Alwahesh Contracting Inc. under contract to the Region of Peel. This contractor’s normal working hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws. We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but shorter working days would require your area to be under construction for a longer period of time.
Interrupting your water supply
Replacing your water service pipe will require temporarily shutting off your water.
- On the day we replace your water service pipe, the contractor will let you know that your water will be shut off for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. This will ensure proper notification for short duration works.
- It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we plan to shut off your water for an extended period (several hours). Occasionally we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.
- If we must shut off your water due to an emergency, we will knock on your door to alert you, and do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Areas impacted by construction
A new water service pipe will be installed from the watermain to your property line, where a new water service box will also be installed. The water service box is a small round metal valve, typically located in your driveway or lawn at the front of your property. Replacing your water service box requires digging up your existing water service box and disturbing an area at least two square meters.
Where possible, your water service pipe will be installed using tunneling equipment. If tunnelling isn’t possible due to ground or environmental conditions, the contractor will need to dig a trench to install the new pipe.
Any damage caused by Regional construction will be repaired:
- If your water service box is in your lawn, we will replace the sod in the disturbed area.
- If your water service box is in your driveway, we will repair the driveway by paving a stripe over the disturbed area, resulting in minimal seams in the final driveway. If construction activities cause additional damage to the driveway, we’ll repair those areas too.
In-ground sprinkler systems
As the front lawn may be affected by this construction work, if you have an in-ground sprinkler system we strongly recommend moving any sprinkler lines that are located in the municipal right-of-way or next to the sidewalk. If you can’t relocate these sprinkler lines, please send us a map created by your irrigation contractor or flag each sprinkler head that is located within one meter of the sidewalk, curb, or driveway. This will allow us to minimize the impact to your sprinkler system.
If tree branches within the municipal right-of-way interfere with construction, the trees will be pruned beforehand.
If tree branches on private property interfere with construction, they will be pruned back to the nearest suitable trunk or branch. The contractor will contact you before any pruning of private trees occurs. If you do not allow personnel onto your property to trim the tree, the branches will be cut vertically at the property line.
Repairing areas impacted by construction
We will start repairing the road, curb, sidewalk, driveways, and lawns once we have finished replacing all water service pipes within this construction contract. Repairs may be delayed due to contractor availability or certain seasonal weather conditions.
- Paving cannot take place when the ground is saturated with water, or the temperature is below 3°C.
- Asphalt is not available in large volumes during the winter. Asphalt usually becomes available around mid-May.
- Most sod farms are located north of Peel. They usually have sod available beginning in late May. We will replace the sod on your property once it is available. We replace sod only until the middle of November, weather permitting, to let the sod grow roots. If we do not repair your lawn by the middle of November, we’ll replace the sod the following spring.
Repairing grassy areas
The contractor will replace any damaged sod (grass) on the boulevard or your front lawn and will take care of the new sod for 30 days. You can help the sod stay healthy by watering it. A longer ‘deep root watering’ works better to establish new sod than watering more frequently for a shorter time. Watering in the early morning allows more water to soak in instead of evaporating.
- Asphalt driveways: If we need to cut a section of your driveway, the driveway will be repaired by paving a stripe over the disturbed area, resulting in minimal seams in the final driveway. The Region of Peel cannot replace your entire driveway.
- If you would like to have the rest of your driveway paved, please contact the contractor, Alwahesh Contracting Inc. at 647-404-1783. The contractor will then share contact information for the company hired to do the paving repairs. Please remember this is your option. If you decide to have your entire driveway repaved, this extra paving work is your responsibility and outside the jurisdiction of the Region of Peel.
- Interlock or concrete driveways: If we damaged a portion of your driveway, our contractor will reinstate the damaged portion of the driveway.
It may be necessary to block your driveway for a short time when crews are replacing your water service box, repairing your driveway, or fixing the road. The construction crew will knock on your door before work on your driveway begins.
To provide maximum access to the construction crew, please avoid parking in your driveway when the water service pipe is being replaced or the driveway is being repaired. If you will not be home on the day we plan to replace your water service line, please do not leave any vehicles in the driveway.
Once the driveway is repaired, it is important to avoid driving on the new asphalt for the first three hours afterwards, and to avoid parking on the new asphalt for one day.
To provide an alternate parking location, we have arranged for a street parking enforcement exemption from the City of Brampton to park on the street in front of your home.
Please note that all other parking laws remain in place, including proper clearance from hydrants and stop signs.
Please email email@example.com if you have special needs related to driveway access.
Traffic and parking
We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane while completing this work. On-street parking will be reduced when we are actively working on your street.
If we are working in front of your home on the day the Region of Peel collects your waste, then the contractor will move your garbage, recycling, and organics bins from the curb to a location where waste collection vehicles can pick them up. Empty containers will be returned to their corresponding addresses. Please make sure your house number is clearly marked on each bin. This helps us return empty bins to the correct address.
You could feel slight vibrations from the construction work.
Private-side water service replacement
We are replacing the section of the water service pipe that leads from the watermain to your water service box (small round metal valve near the property line). The privately-owned section of the water service pipe (between the service box and your home/business) is likely the same age and in the same condition. You may want to consider replacing it to ensure a constant supply of high-quality drinking water to your tap. Replacing the private-side water service pipe is the responsibility of the property owner. Peel Region cannot do this work for you. Refer to peelregion.ca/water/your-home/private-side-water-service.asp for more information.
Optional protection plans for your exterior water pipes, wastewater pipes, and in-home plumbing
Many homeowners are not aware that they are responsible for maintaining the water and wastewater pipes both inside their home and outdoors up to the property line. If one of these pipes breaks, it can cause unexpected and costly repairs. The Region of Peel has partnered with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) to offer homeowners optional, affordable protection from unexpected home repairs. Learn more about the protection plans at plansforpeel.ca.
Warranty on construction work and associated repairs
The Region of Peel’s work and associated repairs to the driveway and sod are under warranty for two years from the completion date.
It is normal for repaired areas to settle a bit in the coming months. If you notice large potholes forming where the driveway, street, or lawn was repaired, please let us know and we will ensure the contractor fixes this before the end of the warranty period.
Safety during construction
Construction zones require extra caution to keep everyone safe – pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and construction workers. When driving, walking, or biking through the construction area, please slow down, be aware of your surroundings, and watch for construction crews and other road users. To learn more about how to stay safe in construction zones, visit peelregion.ca/workzonesafety.
Keeping you informed
We will let you know if there are any major changes to the plans.
Information on this project can also be found at peelregion.ca/pw/construction/bram/20-1301.asp.
We value your feedback
After we have finished, we will invite you to provide feedback on the construction work.
You can sign up to receive this survey electronically at peelregion.ca/construction by clicking “Sign up for email notices”.
Thank you for your patience as we complete this necessary work. This work will allow us to continue providing you with high quality tap water. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Water Linear Engineering
Engineering Services Division
Public Works, Region of Peel
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4409