News release: September 6, 2022
Get ready for Peel's fall garbage exemption
Brampton, ON. (September 6, 2022) – The Region of Peel’s Garbage Exemption period will take place from September 12 to September 22.
During a garbage exemption period:
- There is no maximum amount of acceptable garbage you can put on the curb.
- Garbage bag tags are not required.
- Extra garbage is collected only on your garbage collection day, not recycling day.
To find your garbage exemption day:
- Check your collection calendar.
- Receive convenient and free weekly collection reminders by email, text message, or phone call.
In order to be picked up, an extra garbage bag cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
- Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.
Region of Peel
About Peel's transition
The Ontario government announced the dissolution of Peel Region and the establishment of a Transition Board (TB) as part of Bill 112. The Transition Board was appointed to provide recommendations to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on a range of restructuring matters related to the dissolution of Peel Region to make Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon independent municipalities by January 1, 2025.
To learn about the Transition Board, how it will make these recommendations, and to provide feedback to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, visit Ontario's Peel Region Transition Board website.
During our transition, Peel remains committed to providing services to residents and businesses. For information about our transition, visit Peel's transition website.
About Peel Region
Peel Region works with residents and partners to create a healthy, safe and connected Community for Life for approximately 1.5 million people and over 200,000 businesses in the cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon. Peel's services touch the lives of residents every day. For more information about the Region of Peel, explore peelregion.ca and follow us on Twitter @regionofpeel and Instagram @peelregion.ca.