News release: April 4, 2022
Residential Rat Control Subsidy Pilot Program in Peel has been extended
Brampton, ON. (April 4, 2022) – Rats are a common pest in large urban centres that can cause damage by gnawing and burrowing.
To support Region of Peel residents, the Region has extended the Residential Rat Control Subsidy Pilot Program to assist homeowners with the costs of controlling rats on the exterior of their residential properties.
The pilot program will now be available until November 30, 2022, and will reimburse eligible homeowners for 50 per cent of the cost in hiring a Region of Peel approved pest control vendor, up to a maximum of $200 per calendar year, per residential Peel address.
To qualify for the program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Your exterior property is free from contributing conditions such as junk piles, overgrown vegetation, pet waste, bird feeders, compost piles, etc.
- Your property is a free-hold residential, detached, semi-detached, duplex, or triplex residential home located within the Region of Peel.
- You have hired a Region of Peel approved pest control vendor, for rat control services for the exterior of your residential property, between March 22, 2021 and November 30, 2022 .
- Agree to provide access to the property upon request. A Regional representative may visit the exterior of your property to verify information on the application and to ensure contributing conditions if any exist, have been addressed.
- Submit all required documents
- Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2022.
What you can do now:
Rats seek out places to live that provide them with everything they need to survive, such as food, water, shelter, and safe ways to travel. Some ways you can help keep rats away from your neighbourhood are to:
- Eliminate food supply (garbage, bird feeders, etc.)
- Eliminate sources of water (fountains, bird baths, etc.)
- Eliminate potential shelter (wood piles, tall grass, etc.)
- Eliminate points of entry (seal all holes and cracks)
To learn more about the Residential Rat Control Subsidy Pilot Program and find a Region of Peel approved vendor please visit peelregion.ca/rat-subsidy-program. To learn about rat prevention please visit https://peelregion.ca/rat-subsidy-program/rat-prevention.asp
Marketing & Communications
Region of Peel
The Region of Peel works with residents and partners to create a healthy, safe and connected Community for Life for approximately 1.5 million people and over 175,000 businesses in the cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon. Peel's services touch the lives of residents every day. For more information about the Region of Peel, explore peelregion.ca and follow us on Twitter @regionofpeel and Instagram @peelregion.ca.