News Release: February 5, 2019
Measles Exposure at Pearson International Airport
Mississauga, ON. (February 5, 2019) – Region of Peel - Peel Public Health is investigating contacts who may have been exposed to a lab confirmed case of measles.
People in the following areas of Pearson Airport on January 27, 2019 may have been exposed:
- Lufthansa flight LH-470, from Frankfurt to Toronto (Pearson Airport, arrival at 4:08 pm)
- Air Canada flight AC-834 or LH-6829, from Toronto (Pearson Airport, departure at 6:00 pm) to Montreal
- Pearson International Airport (Terminal 1) on January 27, 2019 from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
All individuals who may have been exposed are advised to do the following:
- Check your immunization record: Make sure you and your family members are up to date with the measles vaccination (noted as the “MMR” or “MMRV” on records). Two doses are recommended for anyone born after 1969. If you are unsure about your vaccination status, please check with your health care provider. In general, those born before 1970 are considered immune against measles.
- Watch for signs and symptoms: Symptoms of measles can appear up until 21 days after exposure. These include a high fever, cold-like symptoms (cough/runny nose), sore eyes or sensitivity to light, small spots with a white centre on the inside of the mouth, and a red rash lasting four to seven days.
- Reduce the risk of spreading to others: If you think you may have measles and need to see a health care provider, you must call ahead to inform them that you may have been exposed. This will allow health care staff to take the necessary precautions to reduce the risk of infection and protect others visiting the office, clinic or hospital.
The Region of Peel works with residents and partners to create a healthy, safe and connected Community for Life for more than 1.5 million people and 175,000 businesses in the cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon. Peel's services touch the lives of residents every day. Recognized as a leader in management and service delivery, the Region of Peel is the only government organization at any level to receive Excellence Canada's Platinum Award for Excellence, Innovation and Wellness®. For more information about the Region of Peel, explore peelregion.ca and follow us on Twitter at @regionofpeel.
Specialist, Corporate Communications
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, ext. 4478