Keep wait list information updated
If you’re on the wait list for a housing subsidy, you need to let us know if there are changes to your information.
Once we have accepted your application for housing subsidy, you are put on the wait list. You will receive a confirmation letter in the mail that has a reference number on it. Keep this letter as a reference.
Your wait can be several years long as there are many residents on the list. We will contact you when there is a housing subsidy available.
You're required to contact us if your information or situation changes. Changes to your information can affect your wait time for housing subsidy.
Contact us if there are changes to:
- Your phone number or current address.
- Number of family members listed when you applied.
- Your income and assets.
- Your emergency contact.
- Your family members' information.
- Your medical or other circumstance.
Contact Housing Services to update your information at email@example.com or call 905-453-1300 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The following table shows estimates of wait times based on the size of unit required and location (municipality). Your wait time could be shorter or longer depending on the factors outlined on this page.
(2 or more household members)
(1 household member only)
(All household members age 65+,
or spouses where 1 spouse is 65+)
|5-8 years||5-6 years|
|5-6 years||5½-7 years|
|1½-5½ years||3-4 years|
The time ranges shown in the table are estimated by measuring the wait times for most of the applicants in each municipality and housing type.
It's not possible to tell you where you are on the wait list. Since the size of the list changes often.
If you're already waiting and it seems like a long time has passed, do not re-apply for housing subsidy. Re-applying can create delays in your application and may make your wait time longer.
You can help us reduce your wait time by doing the following:
- Contact us right away if you move or if there are changes to your situation.
- Be willing to move anywhere in Peel once we contact you.
- Don't refuse housing subsidy when it is offered to you.
You can also reduce your wait time by changing your city preference for housing. Different areas have different wait times. To change your city preference. Contact Housing Services to update your information at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-453-1300 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Your wait time can depend on:
- When a subsidy becomes available.
- Housing availability.
- The city you have selected.
- How many bedrooms you are eligible for.
- If you need a wheelchair accessible unit.
While you're waiting for housing subsidy, you may search for other living arrangements on your own, and apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities (towns, cities, or Regions) outside of Peel.
You can look for a lower-cost market rental unit (which isn't subsidized) on your own. You can check market listings for available apartments for rent.
To find the phone number for a particular market rental unit, you can check our list of Social housing providers in Peel - market units.
Housing subsidies in other municipalities
You can apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities outside of Peel, even if you're already on the wait list in Peel. You can move into housing in the municipality that contacts you first when a subsidy is available.
To apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities, you'll need to visit their websites and follow their instructions to apply. Every municipality has its own application process. To find a list of municipalities offering social housing programs, visit Ontario's list of Service Managers and their service areas.
Other financial support
We also offer several support options that you can apply for, which may help you during your wait:
- Ontario Works – help paying for food, clothing, and shelter
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) – financial help for people with disabilities
- Help paying bills and avoid eviction – one-time help if you are facing eviction or can't pay your bills
- Canada Ontario Housing Benefit Program - monthly benefit to help eligible residents pay rent
- Find a shelter – safe shelter in Peel, with 24-hour support from caseworkers
While you're waiting for a housing subsidy, you may have a change in your circumstance.
Call us at 905-453-1300 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to discuss your changes, and we'll advise you if one of the forms below needs to be completed and sent to us.
- Medical application form for a modified unit (PDF)
- Medical application form for a restriction due to a medical condition (PDF)
- Medical application form for an additional bedroom (PDF)
- Medical priority form for applicants with a terminal illness (PDF)
- Victims of family violence form (PDF)
- Victims of human trafficking (PDF)
- Building selection sheet (PDF)