Help for low-income tenants to pay rent
The Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit is a monthly program to help with housing costs.
The application process is not currently open, but you can check to see if you’re eligible.
You can apply if:
- You’re on the social housing wait list, meet the criteria for being on the wait list, or you live in community housing.
- You’re not receiving a housing subsidy, or any other government-funded housing benefit other than social assistance shelter payments.
- You consent to being removed from the social housing wait list in Peel.
- You do not own or live in a home owned by a member of your household; if so, and you are approved for the program, then you must move out of the home within 90 days of being determined eligible.
Households that are already receiving Ontario’s Portable Housing Benefit – Special Priority Policy (PHB-SPP) do not need to apply. They will automatically be transitioned to this new program.
Households receiving any additional support from Housing Services at the Region of Peel will be asked to choose to receive just 1 benefit.
How to apply
- You’ll need to have up-to-date banking information including direct deposit details.
- Have filed your income taxes. The deadline for filing has been extended to June 1, 2020. If you need help with your tax return, you can get help at a free tax clinic.
- Have an online account with the Canada Revenue Agency account, if possible.
We’ll provide more details when the application process opens.