Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Watermain construction in neighbourhoods

How watermain construction can temporarily affect access to your home, parking, tap water and more.

Other information


We may need to temporarily close roads or reduce traffic to a single lane during construction.

If we must reroute traffic, we’ll place signs to provide directions. If we need to close a road, we’ll send out a notice and post information and a detour map on the project webpage.

We’ll also notify transit and emergency services.

Street parking

On-street parking will be reduced while construction is happening on your street. If you need to park on the street, please park outside the active construction zone.

We’ll tell you when street paving is planned. Please do not park on the street when street paving is taking place.

We will let you know where to park while we’re paving your driveway, or if you’re waiting for the new asphalt to set.

Accessing your driveway

Your driveway may be blocked for a short time while we dig the watermain trench, replace your water service pipe, or complete other construction activities. If we need to block your driveway, we’ll knock on your door to tell you.

If a trench stops you from leaving or entering your driveway, the contractor will provide metal road plates to give you access if required.

If we need to repair your drivewaywait 3 hours before driving on the new asphalt and wait one day before parking on the new asphalt. We will work with your town or city to provide you with an alternate place to park.

If you require access to your driveway on a particular date, or if special needs affect how you access your property, email us or call 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.

Accessing businesses

Whenever possible, we will work to ensure that customers and delivery vehicles can access business parking lots during watermain construction.

If you have any questions or concerns about customer visits or deliveries, email us or call 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.

Waste collection

If you receive waste collection from Peel Region, your garbage, recycling, and organics will continue to be picked up on your regularly scheduled collection day.

It’s the contractor’s responsibility to move any garbage, recycling, or organics set at the curb to a location where waste collection vehicles can pick them up.

Please make sure your house number is clearly marked on each waste bin. This helps us return empty bins to the correct address.

Safety during construction

Construction zones require extra caution to keep pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and construction workers safe.

When driving, walking, or biking through the construction area, please be aware of your surroundings, watch for construction crews and other road users, slow down, account for delays, and consider other routes if possible.

Learn more about work zone safety.

Vibrations, noise, and dust

It’s common to feel slight vibrations in your home or business while construction is happening close to your property.

You’ll also hear noise while construction is happening.

We’ll regularly sweep streets to reduce the dust caused by construction. If you notice the street sweeper is not using water to control dust, please email or call us at 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.

Construction trailers, washrooms, and materials

Labour laws require us to provide construction crews with adequate shelter and washroom access.

These construction trailers and portable toilets will be placed within the municipal right-of-way owned by the city, town or region. The municipal right-of-way includes the street and the land between the street and your water service box.

We will need to store pipes and other equipment onsite within the municipal right-of-way.

  • If the grass dies under the material pile, we will replace the sod.
  • If material piles are blocking site lines for drivers, email us or call us at 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.

Water outages due to construction

We may need to temporarily shut off your water when it is time to:

  • Connect the new watermain to the underground watermain system.
  • Connect your property’s plumbing to the new watermain.

These activities will require shutting off the water for all properties located on that section of the watermain. A planned outage may last for 8 hours or longer.

For businesses:

If a continuous water supply is required for your business and you have not already completed a Water Needs survey, please call us at 905-791-7800 ext. 4409 to let us know when and how your business uses water.

For residents:

  • If we need to shut off your water for an extended period of time (several hours): we’ll aim to tell you 24 to 48 hours in advance. We’ll leave a notice on your door or give your property management company or superintendent a poster for display.
  • If we need to shut off your water for a short duration (less than one hour), we will knock on your door to notify you.

You can prepare for a scheduled water outage by storing water:

  • In pitchers for drinking.
  • In pots for cooking.
  • In a bathtub or bucket for flushing the toilet.

If we must shut off your water due to a watermain break or other unplanned event, we’ll do our best to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Critical water users need an uninterrupted water supply for operating healthcare equipment at home, like hemodialysis. If someone in your household needs an uninterrupted water supply, be sure to register as a critical water user. Registering lets us notify you before any water interruptions are scheduled so you can plan ahead.

Water pressure

Watermain construction shouldn’t reduce your water pressure.

If your water pressure is low following a water outage, call us immediately at 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.

Certain construction projects will cause increased water pressure for some homes and businesses. If a construction project in your neighborhood will cause increased water pressure, we will leave you a notice and post further information on the project webpage.

Connecting private wells to our municipal drinking water system

If new watermain construction is happening in your neighborhood and you use well water, you might be able to access municipal water. To learn more, refer to connecting your property to Peel’s drinking water system.

If we can connect your property to the municipal water supply, you will be responsible for all costs associated with the work on your private property, as well as your water use costs.

Find more information on current water rates.