Celebrating Peel Region's employee award recipients
140 employees received awards in celebration and recognition of their outstanding contributions.
Peel Celebrates is Peel Region's annual employee awards program. It recognizes our employees' outstanding contributions and how the work they've accomplished has positively impacted our organization or Peel's communities.
On June 8, our award recipients’ contributions were recognized at a breakfast reception and at Regional Council. View photographs of the event.
2023 award recipients
CAO Award for Excellence:
Mass Vaccination Program (MVP) Team
The MVP team:
- Personified excellence in unprecedented times by implementing and delivering the Mass Vaccination Program (MVP) clinics during the pandemic.
- Collaborated with internal and external stakeholders to co-design culturally competent clinics to serve our community and priority populations. This work included innovative partnerships with community agencies, long-term care homes, workplaces, shelters, congregate care settings, hospitals, pharmacies, primary care, and schools.
Climate Action Innovation Award:
Hitesh championed and implemented affordable housing retrofits to achieve corporate climate targets. The goal of this plan is to reduce more than 50% of emissions by 2030 and contribute to net zero emissions by 2050.
Climate Action Innovation Award:
Samantha advocated and instigated natural solutions to manage increased stormwater runoff on regional roads.
Urban heat islands are areas where cities are hotter than the countryside due to human-made structures and activities.
Thanks to Samantha's efforts:
- Additional trees planted and managed over the next 10 years will reduce Peel’s urban heat island effect.
- Peel roads will be safer due to reduced flood risks.
Public Works Commissioner's Values in Action Award:
Zach saved a stranger's life by performing emergency CPR during his shift.
Corporate Services Commissioner's Values in Action Award:
Samantha Ali and Soo-Jin Kim
Samantha and Soo-Jin developed the first Psychological Health and Safety measurement system for a municipal government. This system helped to advance psychological health and safety goals in our workplace.
Health Services Commissioner's Values in Action Award:
Vaccine Management Team
The Vaccine Management Team:
- Developed a new vaccine management processes during the pandemic.
- Was adaptable and went above and beyond every day to ensure that COVID and routine vaccine operations ran effectively, efficiently, and safely during unprecedented times.
Human Services Commissioner's Values in Action Award:
Child Care Subsidy Unit in Early Years and Child Care Services Team
This team was awarded for:
- Collaborating on Emergency Child Care and the implementation of the Canada Wide Early Learning and Child Care program.
- Reducing fees and calculating refunds.
- Transforming operations and making service improvements that resulted in quicker applications, less red tape, more equitable access, and better outcomes.
Community for Life Award:
Black, African, Caribbean Communities Core Team
This team took action to support Black, African, and Caribbean (BAC) communities by:
- Working to build trust with community partners.
- Providing access to culturally sensitive service providers.
- Supporting critical outcomes such as vaccine uptake, health screening, and connection to health services.
Robotic Process Automation/Intelligent Automation Team
This team adopted a brand-new 'Robotic Process Automation' platform (UiPath) at Peel Region for business process pilots.
These pilots resulted in:
- Hours saved for employees.
- Improved data accuracy.
- Enhanced compliance standards in the areas of Paramedic Services, TransHelp and water service.
Mary truly cares about everyone’s well-being and success and brings fun to the workplace. She is a coach and mentor who always:
- Takes time to acknowledge everyone's success.
- Empowers her team to find solutions collectively while providing quality customer service.
Spotlight People Leader Award:
- Unfailingly guides her team and others through listening, coaching, and extending appreciation, all while creating a culture of teamwork, respect, unity, compassion, and support.
- Used a thoughtful and inspiring approach to lead her teams through countless challenging priorities during the pandemic.
We All Belong Award:
Women in IT @ Peel Team
This team spoke up for:
- Coming together to learn about the diversity dilemma, the inequities of being a woman in Information Technology (IT), and becoming authentic allies.
- Creating safe spaces for discussions about women's experiences in IT.
- Raising awareness and encouraging courageous conversations to bring about equity in the IT field.
Suicide Prevention and Awareness Team
- Rolled out vital suicide prevention and awareness training in Paramedic Services to support psychological health and safety and make workplace more suicide-safe.
- Implemented suicide intervention skills training courses for formal and informal people leaders in Paramedic Services.
Waste Management Health and Safety Team
This team created a physically, psychologically, and socially safe workplace for their colleagues by:
- Ensuring delivery of required workplace safety standards.
- Delivering training courses.
- Implementing incident reporting tools, and
- Conducting safety assessments and audits.