Youth & student employment
The summer job application deadline is January 31
We offer summer employment to students attending college, university, technical or vocational trade schools.
Through our Summer Student Program, you’ll:
- Earn income over the summer months.
- Gain valuable experience.
- Make new connections.
- Work within an engaging and professional environment all while contributing to our community.
The summer work term runs from May to the end of August. Students are paid a competitive hourly rate bi-weekly, plus vacation pay.
The application deadline is January 31, 2020.
Summer student program positions
Sample job opportunities include:
- General Administrative: customer service, filing, data entry, reception, financial, project co-ordination
- Outdoor labourer positions: customer service, landscaping, general cleaning and maintenance
- Specialized positions relating to civil engineering, health, social services and marketing and communications may be available
Why work at the Region of Peel?
- We are leaders in what we do.
- We do work that matters to our community, to our organizational culture and to our employees.
- We care about everyone’s well-being and success and improving the lives of people within our community.
- We provide career development and an opportunity to learn about regional government.
- We live, thrive and lead to create a Community for Life.
Qualifications and requirements
- Enrollment in a post-secondary program or entering full-time post-secondary studies in September 2020
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- Available to work a variety of shifts from May 1 to September 4 inclusively
- Some positions require a valid "G" Driver's licence in good standing
- Administrative experience
- Labour experience
- CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved work boots
- TB Testing and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening may be required for certain positions
All first-year students will attend an orientation session on their first day which includes mandatory Health and Safety orientation. Additional department specific training is provided.
Time off and vacation
Regular attendance is expected. Please advise your supervisor of any unplanned absences. Requested time off may not be approved depending on business needs.
- Students create a profile and apply online
- New students under consideration will be invited to complete a video screening interview or phone interview. Detailed instructions will be provided.
- Students can expect to hear from us between February and April.
- Reference checks are mandatory for all summer students
- Successful candidates will receive an offer letter package by email. Please ensure to complete & return all forms promptly to ensure no delays to your pay.
- Students not under consideration will be notified via email