Support for children with special needs
Peel Inclusion Resource Services (PIRS) works with families and licensed child care providers to support children to participate fully in child care. PIRS resource consultants will develop a plan with you and your child care provider that focuses on your child’s strengths and areas of development. The service is free, and a diagnosis is not needed.
This service helps ensure a child’s experience is positive and inclusive.
On this page
PIRS is available to children 12 years and under who attend licensed child care in Peel.
How to make a referral
If your child attends a licensed infant, toddler, or preschool child care program or has a confirmed start date for child care in the next 2 weeks
You can complete a referral form
If your child attends a before and after school program
Ask the program supervisor or educator about short term PIRS resource consultation support.
If you’re not planning to enroll your child in licensed child care and have concerns about your child’s development
Contact Infant and Child Development Services Peel. These services are for children in licensed child care settings only.
Who to contact
If you have any questions or need more information, call InfoPeel in Brampton and Mississauga at 905-890-9432, or in Caledon 1-888-836-5550.
Other ways to take part in PIRS
If your child attends an infant, toddler, or preschool program, a PIRS resource consultant will:
- Develop a plan with you and your child care provider that focuses on your child’s strengths and areas of development.
- Share strategies and resources to use in child care.
- Support your child care educators to implement these strategies.
- Support your child’s successful transition from child care to school.
If your child attends a before or after school program, a resource consultant will:
- Provide short term consultation to staff to support children in their program.
- Assist educators in building their skills related to supporting and including all children in their programs.