Garbage exemption dates
On your garbage exemption day:
- You can put unlimited amounts of acceptable garbage on the curb
- You don't need garbage tags.
Check your collection calendar for your next garbage exemption day.
Garbage exemption schedule
Households with curbside collection get 3 exemption dates each year. Your garbage exemption date is always on a garbage collection day.
Your garbage exemption days for 2019 and 2020 are during the weeks of:
- June 17 - 28, 2019
- September 16 - 27, 2019
- January 27- February 7, 2020
The new garbage exemption dates will help avoid collection delays that can happen when there is more garbage to pick up after a holiday. This is part of our continued work to improve service.
Placement and collection
- Be sure to put your extra garbage out on your garbage collection day, not on your recycling collection day. Collectors will not pick up excess garbage left at the curb on your recycling collection day.
- Collectors might collect your cart and excess garbage at different times during the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and excess garbage at the curb until 8 p.m. If neither are collected by 8 p.m., report a missed collection.
Placing extra garbage on the curb
- Put smaller garbage items in garbage bags.
- Place larger items separately on the curb.
- Place your excess garbage next to your garbage cart. Leave 1 m (3 ft.) of space between the excess garbage and the cart.
Excess garbage bag weight and size limits
A garbage bag placed at the curb for collection cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
- Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.