Addressing anti-Black racism in Peel
Regional Council has declared anti-Black racism a crisis
On June 11, 2020, Regional Council passed Resolution 2020-448.
This motion outlined actions we must take to address the inequalities experienced by Peel's Black community and other marginalized groups.
What we're doing
We're listening, learning, and responding to these resolutions. Many actions to address anti-racism and systemic discrimination are underway:
- Peel Public Health's Equity Strategy
- Community Safety and Well-being Plan
- Community Investment Program – Capacity and Change Fund
- Programming at PAMA
In addition, we'll also:
- Engage with Black communities to address racial inequities related to COVID 19.
- Support marginalized groups, including the Black community, through Peel-funded mental health, housing, and harm-reduction programs.
- Ensure Black, Black-led and Black-serving social agencies in Peel are funded equitably through regional funding.
- Collaborate with our local municipalities to provide anti-racism public education.
- Keep working closely with our municipal and community partners.
- Continue to leverage partnerships and community tables.