The Regional Municipality of Peel
By-law number 36-2021
A by-law to amend By-law Number 35-2015 titled "Waste Collection By-law".
Whereas, the Council of the Regional Corporation on June 25, 2015 enacted By-law 35-2015 respecting the collection of waste in the Region and the regulation of the Region's waste management system;
And whereas, amendments to By-law 35-2015 are required to support the implementation of existing and upcoming Regional Council approved programs and to clarify provisions related to access to carts for repair or replacement, and for the purposes of inspection to verify compliance with the by-law;
And whereas, the Council of the Regional Corporation has by resolution adopted on May 27, 2021, authorized the enactment of the by-law herein to amend By-law 35-2015;
Now therefore, the Council of the Regional Corporation enacts as follows:
- That section 2 of By-law 35-2015 be amended by adding the following definitions in alphabetical order:
"Recycling Cart" means a reusable automated or semi-automated wheeled cart with a blue lid supplied by and the property of the Region for the Biweekly collection of Recyclable Materials as described below:
- a small wheeled 120 litre (32 U.S. Gallon) cart;
- a medium wheeled 240 litre (64 U.S. Gallon) cart;
- a large wheeled 360 litre (95 U.S. Gallon) cart; or
- such other volume capacity cart as determined by the Commissioner as acceptable.
"Walk-up Collection Service" means Waste collection from Residential Units approved under the Region's Walk-up Collection Service Program where the Region rather than the Occupier/Owner is required to bring Carts from designated areas on Private Property to the Collection Point for collection and to return the Carts to the designated area after collection.
- That subsection 2.14 (Collection Point) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by revising the definition of "Collection Point" to include the terms "Christmas Trees", and "Yard Waste" and to delete the term "White Goods".
- That subsection 2.28 (Garbage Cart) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by revising references to U.S. Gallons for small carts from 35 U.S. Gallons to 32 U.S. Gallons and for medium carts from 65 U.S. Gallons to 64 U.S. Gallons.
- That subsection 2.30 (Hazardous Waste) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting the definition of "Hazardous Waste" in its entirety and replacing same with the following new definition:
"Hazardous Waste" shall have the meaning attributed to it in R.R.O. 1990 Regulation 347, as amended, and shall include rechargeable batteries, but shall exclude single use dry-cell batteries that are eligible for collection by the Region from time to time.
That subsection 2.59 (Recycling Receptacles) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by adding the following words to the end of the definition for "Recycling Receptacles":
"and does not include a Garbage Cart, Garbage Receptacle, Yard Waste Receptacle or an Organics Cart."
- That subsections 2.62 (Residential Waste), 2.70 (Waste), 2.72 (Waste Enclosure), 6.2(c) (Garbage Receptacles), and 7.17 (Condition of Waste Set out for Collection) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting reference to "White Goods".
- That subsection 2.73 (White Goods) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting the definition of "White Goods" in its entirety and replacing same with the following new definition:
"White Goods" means the items listed as White Goods in Schedule "E".
- That subsection 2.76 (Yard Waste Receptacle) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting subsection (a)(vii) in its entirety from the definition of "Yard Waste Receptacle".
- That subsection 3.1 (Limits on Collection) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting subsection 3.1(g) in its entirety.
- That subsection 3.10 (White Goods Collection Service, Termination of Notice) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting this section in its entirety.
- That section 4 (On-Site Waste Collection) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting subsection 4.4(c) in its entirety and replacing same with the following:
"(c) maintaining an Occupier-accessible recycling area and ensuring accommodations are made for residents with disabilities;"
- That section 7 (Condition of Waste Set out for Collection) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting subsection 7.10 in its entirety and replacing same with the following new subsection 7.10:
"7.10 No Occupier/Owner shall Set Out corrugated cardboard unless it has been flattened and placed in the proper Recycling Cart, or on the immediate outside of the Recycling Cart provided the corrugated cardboard is flattened, bundled, and tied, or otherwise placed in clear or transparent blue plastic bags. Plastic wrapping and polystyrene packaging materials must be removed and separated from the corrugated cardboard."
- That section 7 (Condition of Waste Set out for Collection) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting subsection 7.13 in its entirety.
- That section 12 (Agencies, Boards, Commissions and Departments) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting reference to "White Goods" from subsection 12.1.
- That section 16 (General) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by adding the following right of entry as a new subsection:
"16.7 No Person shall hinder or obstruct or attempt to hinder or obstruct, except with lawful authority, the Commissioner or his or her designate, an Officer, employee or agent of the Region from entering on land, including walkways, driveways and parking areas of Residential Units and Multi-residential Complexes where required, at any reasonable time for the purpose of carrying out an inspection to ensure compliance with this By-law, which includes but is not limited to the right to enter onto the property to:
- remove contaminated material and contaminated Receptacles from the curbside and to place such materials and receptacles on the Owner/Occupier's Private Property;
- repair and/or replace broken or damaged Carts;
- respond to service calls;
- collect Waste from properties registered as part of the Region's Walk-up Collection Service program;
- inspect Carts and bins to verify compliance with this By-law;
- install or repair technology on Front-End Bins or Carts;
- provide waste collection program information in accordance with the Region's enforcement and collection programs; or
- as otherwise required to determine whether or not this By-law is being complied with."
- That Schedule "B" (Business Improvement Areas) of By-law 35-2015 be revised by deleting the map for the Business Improvement Area for Streetsville Mississauga and replacing same with a new updated map attached hereto as Schedule "B" Business Improvement Areas - Mississauga (Streetsville) BIA.
- That Schedule "E" (Non-Complying Waste) of By-law 35-2015 be amended to add "White Goods" and "grass clippings" as new items of Non-Complying Waste, by inserting the following new subsections (xi) with respect to "White Goods" and (xii) with respect to "grass clippings":
- "White Goods including but not limited to air conditioners; dishwashers; home heating oil tanks; empty hot water tanks; freezers; furnaces; heat pumps/exchangers; humidifiers and dehumidifiers; large home safes; metal bath tubs and shower enclosures; metal fireplaces; pool heaters, pumps and metal filters; refrigerators; stoves; washing machines and dryers; and watercoolers;" and
- grass clippings;"
- That Schedule "H" (Special Collection Services White Goods) of By-law 35-2015 be amended by deleting the schedule in its entirety.
- That Schedule "J" (Yard Waste) of By-law 35-2015 be amended to remove reference to "grass clippings" under "Includes" and to re-insert reference to "grass clippings" under "Does not include:".
- The amendments to By-law 35-2015 contained herein take effect commencing May 27, 2021.
Read three times And passed in open Council this 27th day of May, 2021.
Deputy Regional Clerk