Watermain replacement and improvement widening
Sterne Avenue. Project 18-1340 H2
What we are doing
- Replacing and improving the aging watermain on Sterne Avenue as shown on the attached map. View area map (PDF).
- To upgrade the water system capacity and reliability as part of the Region of Peel’s State of Good Repair program.
- We expect to start work on or about September 30, 2020.
- The project should be completed before December 11, 2020. All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date.
- We will start restoring the boulevard and the damaged areas when all water system replacements and transfers are complete, and as weather permits.
Who you can call
|Region of Peel|
|Contact Person||Responsibilities||Telephone Number|
|Jimmy Cheema||Project Manager||905-791-7800, ext. 5403|
|Roman Melnikov||Inspector||905-791-7800, ext. 3246|
London will do the work, under contract to the Region of Peel
|Massimo Sansone||Project Manager||416-676-1984|
|Frank Carelli||Site Superintendent||647-926-9201|
- Our contractor’s normal working hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws. We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but a shorter working day would mean the project would take longer to complete.
Traffic and parking control
- We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane during construction.
- If we have to reroute traffic, we will place signs giving directions.
- On-street parking will be reduced during construction.
- Due to construction activities, we may need to block your driveway for a short time. We will contact you before we do this to arrange for the best time and for alternate access, if needed. If your driveway is blocked, you may choose to park on a side street for a short time. If you need immediate access to your driveway, the contractor will have road plates available to quickly allow access in and out of your driveway.
- We will make sure businesses have access at all times.
- Please call the Project Manager if you have special needs related to access or business hours.
Irrigation or sprinkler systems
- Please tell the inspector if you have underground irrigation or a sprinkler system outside your property line.
- You may wish to move the sprinkler lines to inside your private property to avoid damage.
Removing and replacing trees
- Region of Peel and City of Brampton will be working together on this project to remove and replace the existing tress on the public portion of the boulevard (between the sidewalk and the curb).
- Replacement locations and species will be approved by City of Brampton’s Forestry.
- Trees will be replaced with Kentucky Coffee Tree, Locust, Hackberry (all substitutions must be approved by City of Brampton Forestry).
- The area around the trees will be restored with sod to better or match the existing conditions.
- The new trees will be under Contractor’s warranty for two years.
- If there are any specific questions related to the trees, you may reach out to the City of Brampton at 311.
Interrupting your water supply
- It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we need to shut off your water. Occasionally, we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.
- If we have to shut off your water because of an emergency, we will do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- Your garbage, recycling and organics containers will continue to be picked up on your regularly scheduled day. It is the contractor’s responsibility to move your garbage, recycling and organics bins to a location where our collection vehicles can pick them up. Empty containers will be returned to their corresponding addresses. Please make sure your house number is clearly marked on each bin.
- You may feel slight vibrations from the construction work.
Replacing and taking care of your sod
- The contractor will take care of any sod we replace for 30 days.
- You can help the sod to stay healthy by watering it for one hour in the early morning, two or three times a week. This is especially important in hot or dry weather.
- We will replace your sod as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.
- It is very common for the work area to settle a bit following construction. If you notice any settlement, please let the project manager or inspector know and we will ensure the contractor fixes it.
Repairing your driveway
- If we have cut your driveway, we will repair the asphalt in the disturbed area from edge to edge across the driveway. Unfortunately, the Region cannot completely replace your driveway.
- If you would like to have the rest of your driveway paved at that time, please contact the Asphalt Sales Representative that will be working under Region of Peel. Their contact will be provided to you prior to restoration phase. The Asphalt Sales Representative will be the only driveway contact you need. Please do not accept direct solicitation from any contractor telling you that they have been retained by the Region of Peel. Please remember this is your option. If you choose to do nothing, we will repair all areas damaged by our construction; however, we are unable to completely replace your whole driveway.
- If we damaged a portion of your interlock driveway/concrete driveway, our contractor will reinstate the damaged portion of the driveway.
Repairing the road, curbs, and sidewalks
- We will start restoring the road and boulevard once all replacements and service transfers are complete and as weather permits.
- We will complete the restoration on a street-by-street basis.
- The Region of Peel will always let you know if there are any major changes to the plans.
- We will try to disturb you as little as possible.
- Please call the project manager or inspector if you have any concerns or special needs.
How did we do
- After we’ve finished, we will give you a postage-paid card for you to rate our work.
- Please complete the card and mail it back to us.