Notice to members of the public wishing to serve on the Region of Peel Diversity, Equity and Anti-Racism Committee for the 2022-2026 term.
The Region of Peel is looking for individuals interested in serving as a volunteer on the Regions Diversity, Equity and Anti-Racism (DEAR) Committee. The Region invites applications from members of the public that reside or operate a business within the Region of Peel. The term of appointment is until November 14, 2026. Members will be selected and appointed by Regional Council.
Three members of the public, preferably one from each local municipality in Peel (Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon) will be selected and appointed by Regional Council.
The mandate of the Diversity, Equity and Anti-Racism Committee is to advise Regional Council about systemic barriers and diversity issues in the community, external and internal, that may impact Regional policies, programs, and services. Areas of focus is:
- Anti-Black racism,
- Inclusion, and
- Approaches to training and accountability.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
A candidate shall be:
- a Canadian citizen.
- at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- a resident, or the owner or tenant of land in the Region of Peel, or spouse of such person; or, be a member of a community organization representing the interests of members of the community in the Region of Peel.
A candidate shall not be:
- an elected official of Regional Council or of the Council of a municipality in the Region of Peel, or
- an employee of the Region of Peel or of a municipality in the Region of Peel
A candidate will be required to provide, as a condition of appointment, confirmation that they do not have a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Represent and/or have expertise and/or lived experience of diverse and disadvantaged populations (i.e. newcomers to Canada, racialized populations, LGBTQ2S+ and non-binary gender).
- Knowledgeable about issues relevant to the needs of our clients and the community.
- Demonstrate a passion for matters related to inclusion and diversity.
- Experience in advocating for community members facing barriers to social programs and services.
How to Apply:
- Complete the online application form or visit /diversity
- Contact the Office of the Regional Clerk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 905-791-7800, ext. 4465, to obtain the required application form.
- Applicants who are unable to complete the application form due to accessibility matters may submit a cover letter and resume instead. The application form, cover letter, and resume, can be submitted by email, mail, or in person to:
Aretha Adams, Regional Clerk and Director of Legislative Services
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 5th Fl.
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800 x4465
Application deadline is Friday, November 25, 2022 by 4:30 p.m.
Please note that interviews of selected applicants will take place early 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.