Notice to members of the public wishing to serve on the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee for the 2022-2026 term.
The Region of Peel is looking for individuals interested in serving as a volunteer on the Regions Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC). The Region invites applications from members of the public that reside or operate a business within the Region of Peel. The term of appointment is until November 14, 2026. Members will be selected and appointed by Regional Council.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply, as per the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001 (ODA) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), many of the members of the Committee shall be persons with disabilities. A minimum of seven members of the public (at least one from each municipality), will be selected and appointed by Regional Council. Up to two members can represent a group or organization that acts on behalf of persons with disabilities residing in the Region of Peel.
The mandate of the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee is:
- To advise Regional Council on ways to improve opportunities and remove barriers for persons with disabilities through the identification and removal of barriers with respect to programs and services delivered by the Region;
- To advise Regional Council on the requirements and implementation of the Accessibility Standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the preparation of accessibility reports;
- To advise Regional Council on the annual preparation, implementation and effectiveness of the Region of Peel Multi-Year Accessibility Plan;
- To review in a timely manner site plans and drawings as described in section 41 of the Planning Act;
- To review in a timely manner all site plans and drawings as set out in the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulations (IASR) of the AODA as pertaining to the Design of Public Spaces Standards: exterior paths of travel, rest areas, and on-street parking spaces;
- To assist with planning and participate in community events and trade fairs to promote accessibility; and
- To perform all other functions specified in the ODA, AODA and subsequent regulations.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
A candidate shall be:
- a Canadian citizen.
- at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- a resident, or the owner or tenant of land in the Region of Peel, or spouse of such person; or, be a member of a community organization representing the interests of members of the community in the Region of Peel.
A candidate shall not be:
- an elected official of Regional Council or of the Council of a municipality in the Region of Peel, or
- an employee of the Region of Peel or of a municipality in the Region of Peel
A candidate will be required to provide, as a condition of appointment, confirmation that they do not have a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
Preference will be given to individual applicants who have specific skills, knowledge or experience which may be an asset to the Committee.
While we encourage all interested parties from the local area to apply, first consideration will be given to applicants who identify with a disability.
How to Apply:
- Complete the online application form or visit /accessibility/
- Contact the Office of the Regional Clerk by email at email@example.com or by phone at 905-791-7800, ext. 4465, to obtain the required application form.
- Applicants who are unable to complete the application form due to accessibility matters may submit a cover letter and resume instead. The application form, cover letter, and resume, can be submitted by email, mail, or in person to:
Aretha Adams, Regional Clerk and Director of Legislative Services
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 5th Fl.
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800 x4465
Application deadline is Friday, November 25, 2022 by 4:30 p.m.
Please note that interviews of selected applicants will take place early 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.