Public Open House and Statutory Public Meeting - Regional Official Plan Amendment and Municipal Comprehensive Review
Notice is hereby given that the Council of The Regional Municipality of Peel will hold a public meeting and open houses, pursuant to Section 26(3) and 17(16) of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended, to discuss the proposed Regional Official Plan Amendment (ROPA) required as part of the Official Plan Review and Municipal Comprehensive Review (MCR).
A Regional Official Plan is a long-term plan that provides a policy framework for making land use planning decisions, including setting a structure for guiding growth, protecting the environment, and managing resources. In keeping with the Planning Act, the Region must update its Official Plan every five years. This mandatory update ensures that official plan policies stay current with Provincial plan and policy changes and reflect our changing community's needs
The purpose of the proposed Official Plan Amendment is to update the Regional Official Plan to ensure conformity to current provincial plans, policies, and legislation. The proposed Amendment is also intended to update the Official Plan to the planning horizon of 2051.
The effect of the proposed Amendment is to add new and updated policies and mapping on the various focus areas identified through the MCR, including the settlement area boundary expansion, growth management, climate change, major transit station areas, housing, greenland systems, transportation, agriculture and rural areas, wildland fire hazards, Provincial Greenbelt Plans, Indigenous engagement, cultural heritage, and waste management. The proposed draft Official Plan Amendment is available on the Region’s website at peelregion.ca/officialplan/review, along with background studies, reports, and discussion papers.
The proposed Official Plan Amendment will apply to all lands within the municipal boundary of the Region of Peel. Accordingly, no key map is included in this Notice.
The Region will be conducting two Open Houses to provide members of the public an opportunity to learn about the proposed ROPA, ask staff questions, and provide comments:
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 27, 2021 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Visit peelregion.ca/officialplan/review to register to join any of these virtual sessions.
Note that the same materials will be presented at each of these Open Houses. The virtual display boards for the Peel 2051 focus areas are available at peelregion.ca/officialplan/review/fall-consultation.asp, which can be reviewed in advance of the Open Houses.
In addition to the Open Houses, a Public Meeting of Regional Council will be held on Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
Due to the efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the meeting will be live-streamed on https://www.peelregion.ca from the Region of Peel, Council Chamber, 5th Floor, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, Brampton. Please email the Office of the Regional Clerk at email@example.com or call (905) 791-7800, ext.4502 for further instructions.
If you wish to make written or verbal submissions at the public meeting on the Regional Official Plan Amendment, please email the Office of the Regional Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (905) 791-7800, ext. 4502.
Please note: The Alton, Caledon East and Southfields Village Library Branches will be open during the Open Houses and Public Meeting, and will have some devices available for use, along with internet connectivity, while still following capacity limits with health and safety protocols in place.
The draft ROPA, supporting technical background studies, and related information is available:
- On the Region of Peel’s Official Plan Amendments webpage at peelregion.ca/officialplan/review
- Upon request by contacting the Clerk’s general mailbox at email@example.com or the Peel 2051 mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide comments by November 30, 2021 to Virpal Kataure, Principal Planner, Regional Planning and Growth Management, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 6th Floor, Brampton, ON L6T 4B9, by phone to 905-791-7800 ext. 4364, or by email at email@example.com.
- If you wish to be notified of the decision of the Council of The Regional Municipality of Peel on the ROPA, you must make a written request to Kathryn Lockyer, Director and Regional Clerk at:
Kathryn Lockyer, Regional Clerk
Regional Municipality of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite A – 5th Fl. Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Tel: 905-791-7800, ext. 4502
- If a person or public body would otherwise have an ability to appeal the decision of The Regional Municipality of Peel to the Ontario Land Tribunal but the person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to The Regional Municipality of Peel before the proposed official plan is adopted, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision.
- If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to The Regional Municipality of Peel before the proposed official plan is adopted, the person or public body may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Ontario Land Tribunal unless, in the opinion of the Tribunal, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.
For more information about this matter, including information about appeal rights, contact the Office of the Regional Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 905-791-7800, ext. 4502.
Please note that your name will appear on the agendas and minutes of the Public Meeting of Regional Council if you provide oral or written submissions to Regional Council. The agendas and minutes of the Public Meeting of Regional Council will appear on the Region of Peel Website as a public record of the proceedings. All postings are in compliance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.