Long Range Transportation Plan
Our 5-year Long Range Transportation Plan is guiding the Region’s transportation planning and infrastructure needs.
Peel is growing at an unprecedented rate that will put significant pressures on our transportation network.
- Peel’s population is expected to be 2 million residents – an increase of 500,000.
- 250,000 more jobs will be added to Peel’s economy, for a total of 970,000 jobs.
- Peel will see more than 300,000 new trips during the daily morning peak.
A new balanced approach
As we look to the future, we're adopting a balanced approach to enhance our transportation network. This balanced approach means maintaining the level of service by shifting travel modes and putting greater emphasis on sustainable infrastructure investments.
The LRTP aims to achieve a 50% sustainable mode share target by 2041, which includes walking, cycling, transit, and carpooling. This will be a joint effort between the Region of Peel and all 3 local municipalities.
Objectives and key components
The LRTP serves as:
- The basis for recommended Transportation Infrastructure Programming.
- The basis for the Transportation Capital Budget and 10-year Program.
- Input into the Development Charges Background Study and By-law Update in 2020.
Key components of the LRTP:
- Sustainable Mobility
- Safe Mobility
- Vehicular Mobility
- Recommended Future Transportation Network
- Implementation and Measurement
Let’s Move Peel – Long Range Transportation Plan 2019
For more information, email Tina Detaramani Manager, Sustainable Transportation and Strategic Initiatives, Transportation Division.