Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Automated Speed Enforcement Program (ASE)

ASE helps make drivers more aware of the need to slow down

Automated Speed Enforcement (ASE) is a system that uses a camera and a speed measurement device to capture images of vehicles going faster than the speed limit.

ASE focusses on changing driver behaviour to reduce speeding and improve safety. Obeying posted speed limits is the best way to avoid a ticket. Speed limits are the law, not a guideline.

The system is only used in school zones and community safety zones to protect our most vulnerable residents and help them feel comfortable while walking, running, playing, cycling, and generally enjoying their community.

ASE is about safety: it’s designed to work with other traffic safety programs, including improvements to road networks, educational programs, and police enforcement.

Contact the Transportation Operations Division at if you have any questions about the Automated Speed Enforcement program.

To learn more about the Automated Speed Enforcement program, visit ASE in Ontario.

Notice with respect to the collection of personal information

Personal information is collected under the authority of the Highway Traffic Act s.205.1 for the purpose of using a camera and a speed measurement device to capture images of vehicles going faster than the speed limit in order to enforce speed limits and help make the roads safer for all road users. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Senior Project Manager, Traffic Engineering, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite B, 4th Floor, Tel: 905-791-7800 or 1-888-919-7800 (toll-free) or email:

Peel Region has one mobile ASE camera rotating on various Regional roads in the Town of Caledon. This camera is currently located at Caledon East Public School on Airport Road where it is undergoing testing. Once the camera's testing process is complete, it will become operational.

In 2024, Peel’s mobile ASE camera will be moved to Caledon Central Public School. On Charleston Sideroad east and west of Kennedy Road, “coming soon” signage has been placed to indicate the camera’s future location.

The Town of Caledon has its own active ASE program with 2 mobile cameras. These cameras will be rotated between school zones and community safety zones on town roads where speeding is causing concern.

The City of Mississauga and City of Brampton also have active ASE programs with cameras located in school zones and community safety zones where speeding has proven to be an issue.

How will drivers know that a location is equipped with ASE?

ASE is about safety and openness. Clear signage is always posted within each school zone and community safety zone where an active system is in place. Signs are also installed before the camera is activated to tell motorists that the system will be installed in the near future (90 days before activation).

Minor adjustments to community safety zone and speed limit lengths are made to ensure vehicles can safely reduce their speed as they approach the ASE camera zones. This includes replacing flashing 40km/h speed limit signs at select locations with permanent 40km/h speed signs.

If a vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit in an automated speed enforcement area, the ASE system captures an image that is stored and reviewed by a Provincial Offences Officer.

Provincial Offences Officers review the images captured by the ASE system. If an offence has occurred, they issue a ticket to the vehicle’s owner, regardless of who was driving the vehicle at the time.

The ticket contains a digitized copy of the image and an enlargement of the license plate. It is mailed to the registered plate holder within 30 days of the offence, outlining next steps and the cost of the fine. Automated speed enforcement tickets do not result in demerit points, and the registered owner’s driving record will not be affected.

What to do if you get a ticket

The owner of the motor vehicle is liable for the speeding ticket.

Provincial Offences Counts provide three options to vehicle owners disputing a ticket:

  • Pay the provincial offence notice (the ticket)
  • Ask for a resolution (settlement) meeting with a prosecutor
  • Have a trial before a Justice of the Peace