Street names and guidelines
The Region of Peel approves, revises, or deletes the street names for Regionally-managed roads.
The cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon approve, revise, or delete street names for the local roads in their jurisdictions.
Look up a proposed street name
Use the street name lookup tool to determine to find information about a proposed, approved, refused, or registered street name in the Region of Peel.
Excluded letter combinations
Operators enter the first 3 letters of a street into municipal Fire Emergency Services computers.
To streamline Fire Emergency Service street searches within Peel Region:
- Over 30 street names starting with the same first 3 letters will no longer be approved.
- Proposed street names that begin with FOR (FOREST), HIL (HILL), KEN, LAK (LAKE), LAN (LANE), MIL (MILL), and MON will no longer be approved.
View the list of excluded letter combinations.
Street Name Committee
This review ensures that a proposed street name for a new development or a new name for an existing street:
- Is unique and does not duplicate the name of an existing street.
- Sounds distinctly different from other existing or approved street names.
- Is easy to spell and pronounce in an emergency situation.
The Committee includes:
- Representatives of the 3 Area Municipalities
- All Fire and Emergency Services
- Peel Regional Police employees
- Peel Paramedic Services employees
- Peel Public Works employees
The Committee meets approximately every 2 months to consider names in accordance with the Street Names Committee policies and guidelines.
A street name that is accepted by the Committee is considered approved for use by the City of Brampton and the Town of Caledon.
The City of Mississauga recommends Committee-accepted street names to Mississauga Council for final approval.
Region of Peel
Chair: Althaf Farouque
Manager, Development Services, Public Works
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 6th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4416 (toll-free 1-888-919-7800)
Administrator: Tiffany Noble
Technical Coordinator, Development Services, Public Works
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite B, 4th Floor, Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 1173 (toll-free 1-888-919-7800)
City of Mississauga
Joe Alava, Development Engineering
Transportation and Infrastructure Planning Division, Transportation and Works Department
201 City Centre Drive, Suite 800, Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4
Phone: (905) 615-3200 ext. 5149
City of Brampton
Carolyn Crozier, Manager, Development Services
Planning and Development Services
2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, ON L6Y 4R2
Town of Caledon
Rossana Favot, Development Coordinator
Development Review Services, Planning Department
6311 Old Church Road, Caledon, ON L7C 1J6
Phone: 905-584-2272 ext.4050 (toll-free 1-888-225-3366)