The Greenlands System in Peel comprises features (such as rivers and forests) and the surrounding areas that link together and support them.
Notice of Decision – Approval of the Region of Peel Official Plan
On November 4, 2022, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing issued a decision to approve the new Region of Peel Official Plan (RPOP) with 44 modifications. Download the Notice of Decision. Learn more about the Notice of Decision.
The new RPOP, as modified, came into effect as of November 4, 2022, replacing the previous Region of Peel Official Plan. The Minister's decision is final and there are no appeals.
The approved RPOP with Provincial modifications can be found on the Download the Peel Regional Official Plan page.
Regional Council Adoption of the new Region of Peel Official Plan
Regional Council passed By-law 20-2022 to adopt the new RPOP on April 28, 2022.
The Council Adopted RPOP was submitted to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for approval.
Email Planning and Development Services to join our notification list, and stay up to date on the new RPOP.
This connected natural system provides natural services such as clean water and air, habitat for plants and animals, as well as cultural, recreational and health benefits.
Through the Peel 2051 Regional Official Plan Review, the goals of the Greenlands System policy review were to:
- Ensure conformity with Provincial Policy Statement (PPS);
- Identify actions that were needed to achieve the Region's natural heritage objectives; and
- Develop a Greenlands System Strategy to update the Region's natural heritage system policies and identify a Regional Natural Heritage System.
Regional staff collaborated with the area municipalities, province, conservation authorities and other organizations on this review and update of the Regional Official Plan. The Region and its partners will continue to work together to protect, restore and enhance natural areas.
Greenlands System Related Council & Committee Reports and Presentation
Updates on items related to the Greenlands System focus area have been provided to Regional Council and the Planning and Growth Management Committee (PGMC) throughout 2021. These reports and presentations are provided for reference below:
- Greenlands discussion paper (PDF)
- Greenlands system fact sheet (PDF)
- Peel Regional NHS Integration Project (PDF)
For more information, email Regional Planning or call (905) 791-7800 ext. 4266.
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement, and waste management, and rural settlement boundary refinement)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources