Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Child care

We're working with providers to support everyone's health and safety during COVID-19

Child care remains open during the stay-at-home order for Peel Region.

The Ontario government has extended the stay-at-home order in Peel Region until March 8. This will reduce the amount of contact we have with others to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Licensed child care will remain open in licensed centres and home-based settings, and authorized recreation and skill-building programs.

The Ontario government continues to allow maximum group sizes for licensed child care centres. Child care providers must continue following health and safety guidelines.

Providers should share health and safety procedures with parents. Speak to your provider about what they're doing to keep your children safe while in their care.

Before and after school programs

Before and after school programs can reopen on February 16.

Other information

Children are more likely to have only mild symptoms of COVID-19. That’s why it’s important to screen your child for symptoms every day. If your child has 1 or more symptoms of COVID-19 they need to stay home and not go to child care. Symptoms may be new, getting worse, or different than usual.

Look for the following symptoms, even if they are mild.

  • cough
  • shortness of breath
  • fever (37.8 degrees C or higher) or chills
  • loss of taste or smell
  • sore throat or difficulty swallowing
  • stuffy or runny nose
  • headache
  • nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • feeing unwell, muscle aches or tiredness

Before going to child care each day, you must screen your child for:

  • Any COVID-19 symptoms (even if mild)  
  • Close contact with a person who is sick with COVID-19 symptoms, or, who has tested positive in the past 14 days
  • Recent travel outside of Canada

If your child did not pass the daily screening

Do not send your child to child care. If they have symptoms of COVID-19 take them to a testing site or assessment centre to get tested.

Without a COVID-19 test, your child must self-isolate for:

  • 10 days after their symptoms started.
  • 14 days since their close contact to someone with COVID-19 or from their date of return to Canada.

All people in your household must stay home and self-isolate until:

  • The child’s test results return and are negative.
  • A health care provider has identified another reason for your child’s symptoms.
  • 14 days from the last time they had exposure to the child if a COVID-19 test is not taken

If your child tests positive for COVID-19:

  • Follow Peel Public Health’s direction on when your child can return to child care.
  • All people in your household must self-isolate for 14 days from the last time they had close contact with your child.

Refer to your Parent/Guardian COVID-19 Screening Agreement with your child care provider for additional steps that you may need to take.

Daily screening of all staff, licensed home child care providers and their household members, parents, guardians and visitors remains the same.

Child care providers should not increase your fees due to enhanced cleaning measures, or any other costs. The Ministry of Education has advised providers to set fees at the level they were before the closures.

Your child care provider is also not allowed to charge you fees if you don't have access to a child care space or decide not to accept a space.

If you're attending child care in a centre, your provider must give you 14 days to let them know whether you want to keep your space. After the 14 days, you will need to make payments to keep your space, whether your child attends or not.

If you're attending home child care, your provider must give you 30 days to let them know whether you want to keep your space. After the 30 days, you will need to make payments to keep your space, whether your child attends or not.

We understand that some child care centres are not open. Licensed home child care continues to operate. To learn more about this option and all licensed child care centres open in Peel, you can visit or call Child Development Resource Connection Peel (CDRCP) at 905-890-9432.

If you're receiving child care fee subsidy, you need to have an approved activity to remain eligible.

If you’re no longer working or are working less hours, you must let your Children’s Services Worker know so they can determine if you still qualify for child care subsidy.

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, our offices remain closed for visitors. Do not come into the office.

If you have documents to submit, you can email, mail or drop them in any of the drop boxes located outside the entrances of our Regional buildings.

Do you have concerns with your licensed child care program, such as how your child care provider is handling health and safety practices during COVID-19, or have you been refused access to child care? If so, you are encouraged to speak to your licensed child care provider so they can try and address your concerns.

If your concerns cannot be resolved by working with your provider, you can submit a complaint to the Ministry of Education.

You can also submit a complaint to the Region of Peel.