Support for children with special needs
Peel Inclusion Resource Services works with families and licensed child care providers to support children with special needs.
Families that are concerned about the development of their child who is attending licensed child care, or will be starting child care within 2 weeks, can access extra support. We want all children to reach their full potential. Peel Inclusion Resource Services (PIRS) helps ensure the child care experience is positive and inclusive.
PIRS is available to children 12 years and under who:
- Are currently attending a licensed child care, or
- Have a confirmed start date for child care in the next 2 weeks.
If your child attends an infant, toddler, or preschool program, a PIRS resource consultant will:
- Develop a plan with you and your child care provider that focuses on your child’s strengths and areas of development.
- Share strategies and resources to use in child care.
- Support your child care educators to implement these strategies.
- Support your child’s successful transition from child care to school.
If your child attends a before or after school program, a PIRS resource consultant will:
- Provide short term consultation to staff to support children in their program.
- Assist educators in building their skills related to supporting and including all children in their programs.
How to access PIRS
Confirm your child is eligible
- Does your child currently attend an infant, toddler or preschool program?
- Does your child have a start date in the next 2 weeks?
If you answer yes to either of these questions, then you can complete the PIRS referral form.
If your child is not currently in care or will not be starting care in the next 2 weeks, do not submit a referral. You can submit a referral once your child meets the eligibility criteria.
Get a PIRS referral
You can either:
- Complete a PIRS referral form
- Ask the program supervisor to connect you to a PIRS resource consultant.
If your child attends a before and after school program, ask the program supervisor or educator about short term PIRS resource consultation support.
If you’re not planning to enroll your child in licensed child care and have concerns about your child’s development, contact Infant and Child Development Services Peel. PIRS services are for children in licensed child care settings only.
Where to find child care
- Search for licensed child care options through Child Development Resource Connection Peel.
- Call Infopeel in Brampton and Mississauga at 905-890-9432, or in Caledon 1-888-836-5550.
We want to hear from you
If you’re a licensed child care staff member, community partner, Special Needs Resourcing agency staff member, parent, or caregiver and would like to provide feedback on your experience with Peel Inclusion Resource Services or have suggestions on how we can improve our support, you can share your feedback here.
If you have questions or concerns about your child care program, such as your child being denied access to child care because of special needs, you can share your concerns.