Peel Region homepage

Outdoor water use advisory

Residents and businesses in Brampton and Mississauga are asked to reduce or stop outdoor watering.

Find out more


Apply for a child care subsidy

If you can't afford child care, you can apply for financial help. This is called a child care subsidy, and helps you pay for child care.

A child care subsidy reduces the amount of money that you have to pay to a licensed child care provider for your children under 12 years old. This amount is based on your family’s income. If you are eligible for a subsidy, you could expect to pay:

Net family income

Approximate daily child care cost for parents

Approximate monthly child care cost for parents



















The amounts shown in this table are only estimates to give you an idea of what you may receive, based on your family's income. The actual cost for your family will be calculated during the application process.

To apply, you must:

If your child has special needs, contact us before applying.

If you are an Ontario Works recipient, do not apply. If you need assistance with child care, contact your caseworker.

This program is separate from the reduced child care fees program.

During peak times, you may experience a wait time for your initial appointment regarding your application for child care subsidy.

Step 1: Check your eligibility

Eligibility depends on your family’s income and the number of children in need of a child care subsidy.

The Ontario government states family composition is a key part of determining child care subsidy eligibility. To learn more, see the family composition policy (PDF).

Check your eligibility

Step 2: Find a subsidized child care space

You must find a child care space that can be subsidized. You may search for this yourself, or you can find a space using the Peel Early Learning and Child Care Directory.

Find child care spaces in:

You can also call the following numbers for help by phone. Phone services are available in over 200 languages.

When you locate a child care space, contact the provider to see if they have a spot available for your child.

Do not register your child with the provider until you have been approved by us. We will not reimburse any money you have paid for holds/reservations or fees before being approved for a subsidy.

Step 3: Apply online

To apply, you will need to make sure you have all of the required documents and identification.

Once you have completed your application, you will receive a confirmation email regarding next steps.

Apply online

Other information

You can apply for a child care subsidy by phone. Call us at 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

If you’re staying in an emergency shelter or transitional housing, and need help paying for child care talk to a staff member. They can help you submit a shelter referral for child care fee subsidy (PDF). This can be submitted instead of applying online or by phone.

Your eligibility can only be determined if you submit all required documents. View the child care fee subsidy required documents (PDF).

All originals must be submitted at the time of the scheduled appointment.

All parents and guardians must attend the appointment.

Your name or your spouse’s name must be on all documents submitted.

When you are receiving a child care subsidy, your responsibilities are outlined in the Parent Agreement (PDF).

Your child care fee subsidy is based on the information you provide. It is your responsibility to tell us immediately if:

  • You move to a new address
  • Change your marital status
  • There are changes to your family size
  • Leave your job or finish school
  • Take a leave of absence from work for any reason (such as pregnancy or medical leave)

Note: You must contact us within two (2) weeks of a change happening. If you don't report this on time, your subsidy can be affected and you may be asked to repay us some of the money that you received for the subsidy.

Your subsidy will be assessed every 12 months to see if you are still eligible. This is called the Annual Review. We will send you a letter in the mail with instructions on what information you need to submit to us, where to send it, and the due date. If you do not submit this information by the due date, your subsidy may be terminated.

If you disagree with a decision that affects your child care fee subsidy, you have the right to appeal.

First, you need to review the decision with a Children's Services Worker. Call us at 905-791-1585 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

After the decision has been reviewed with a Children's Services Worker, if you would like to appeal, you have 30 calendar days from the date the decision was made to appeal:

To request an appeal, print out and complete a Child Care Fee Subsidy Internal Review Request form (PDF).

Send us the completed form, supporting documentation and a copy of your decision letter in one of the following ways:

  • Fax it to 905-450-5757 – Attention: Supervisor, Child Care Fee Subsidy
  • Drop off at one of the following locations:
    10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite B, Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
    7120 Hurontario St., Mississauga, ON L5W 1N4
  • Mail to:
    Attention: Supervisor, Child Care Fee Subsidy
    10 Peel Centre Dr. Suite B
    PO Box 2136 Stn B
    Brampton, ON
    L6T 0E3

A review of your file will be conducted and a notice of decision will be issued to you by email or mail within 30 calendar days of receiving your request for appeal. This decision is final.