Cover Your Internet Tracks
Did You Know?
- Sexual Assault is a form of power and control. In Canada, sexual assault is a crime.
- An estimated 572, 000 women in Canada were sexually assaulted in one year alone. That's more than one per minute (Based on the Violence Against Women Survey, Statistics Canada, 1993)..
- Young women between the ages of 16 and 21 are at the highest risk of sexual assault (Women's Safety Project, 1993).
What is Sexual Assault?
- Sexual assault is defined as any unwanted or non-consensual acts, or the threat of action of a sexual nature, that is imposed on another person. This may include, but is not limited to kissing, fondling, vaginal, oral or anal intercourse and/or penetration.
- Sexual assault can happen to anyone. Women and men from all age groups, ethno-cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, socio-economic classes, religions, ability levels, and professions experience sexual assault
- Sexual assault is just one form of woman abuse, or violence against women. Violence against women is a serious social problem.