Tips for Riding
Follow these tips to ensure your trip is safe and on-time.
Watch this video for important information that can help you on your trip.
General rules and tips while travelling
- For your safety, you must always wear your seatbelt when travelling on TransHelp.
- During a one-way trip you might be on a vehicle for up to 90 minutes.
- During peak hours and bad weather, you might be on a vehicle for over 90 minutes.
- Ensure that you have adequate medication and supplies in case of delay.
- If you miss your outgoing trip, your return trip will be cancelled. If you find your own way to your destination and still need a return trip, call 905-791-1015 to schedule it as soon as possible. You will be placed on standby for the first available vehicle.
- If you don’t need a ride anymore, cancel your trip by midnight the day before so you’re not charged the fare.
- Cancelling is easy: log in to your account and click "Review or Cancel Trips" or call the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) at 905-791-1015 and press 1.
- Your fellow passengers and drivers may be sensitive to scents. Do not wear perfumes or cologne when travelling on TransHelp.
- You may bring up to 2 companions to travel with you. Your travel companion pays the regular fare.
- You may bring up to 3 bags with you. You or your support person must carry your bags.
- Drivers cannot lift or carry passengers or mobility aids.
- Be aware of building closing times to ensure you have shelter in case of delays or poor weather.
- Tell the driver if you feel ill or are uncomfortable at any time during your ride.
Check your pick-up window before you ride
All trip requests have a 30-minute pick-up window. This window is confirmed when you place your trip request. Be ready to go at the start of your pick-up window.
Safety standards for ramps, doors and pathways
A TransHelp driver will help you to and from the door to the taxi or TransHelp vehicle. We call this "door-to-door" service.
Your pick-up and drop-off locations must meet these door-to-door safety and accessibility standards:
- Your ramp or lift must meet TransHelp safety standards and may be subject to an inspection.
- The pick-up and drop-off door cannot be more than 50 m (164 ft) from the vehicle.
- The driver must be able to see the vehicle from the door at all times
- The pathway to the door must be easy to get to, clear of ice and snow and free of any objects that might cause injury to you or the driver.
The TransHelp driver might not pick you up or drop you off if these safety and accessibility standards aren't met.
Passenger pick-up and drop-off
- Be prepared to wait for up to 30 minutes, as your ride may arrive at any time during the pick-up window. A ride is not considered late until after the 30-minute window has passed. If your ride hasn’t arrived by the end of your pick-up window, call 905-791-1015.
- If you must travel with a support person, we cannot pick you up if the support person is not with you for the ride.
- If you travel with a mobility aid, the mobility aid confirmed at the time of booking is the aid you must travel with for that trip.
- If you are being picked up from a house, be ready and waiting at the nearest accessible door at the start of your pick-up window. The driver will knock or ring the doorbell if he or she doesn't see you at your scheduled pick up time.
- If you are being picked up from a building, be ready and waiting in the lobby at the start of the pick-up window. Your driver is not required to buzz up to the apartment.
- For your return trip, wait at the same location where you were dropped off, unless you have made other arrangements at the time of your booking.
Mobility aids such as wheelchairs and scooters must meet specific size, weight, and safety guidelines.
- Weight: The total weight of the wheelchair and passenger combined must be no more than 362 kg (800 lbs).
- Size: A wheelchair base must be no larger than 76 x 127 cm (30 x 50 inches).
- Safety: Flags and other projections are not allowed.
For passengers travelling with a scooter:
- Scooters will be safely secured using the proper restraint system in a forward-facing position.
- You may move to a seat from your scooter if you are able with minimal assistance.
- Passengers remaining on their scooters will be fitted with a seatbelt that secures them to their mobility scooter.
- Passengers choosing to transfer must wear a seatbelt at all times when seated in a TransHelp vehicle.
Fares and accompaniment
All children aged 0 – 12 years must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or support person.
If the child is 0-5 years of age:
- The accompanying parent, guardian or support person must pay a fare.
- The child rides for free.
If the child is 6-12 years of age, both the child and the accompanying parent, guardian or support person must pay a fare.
Children with mobility devices must follow the same rules as adults travelling with wheelchairs and scooters.
Keeping children safe while travelling
TransHelp does not require nor provide car seats and booster seats in taxi cabs, buses and public vehicles.
Older children who can move about freely must use available seating and seat belts and stay seated during the trip. A child cannot sit in a stroller while travelling. Strollers must be collapsed and safely stored during travel.
Children who weigh less than 9 kg (20 lbs) or cannot hold themselves upright must be securely held on a parent, guardian or companion's lap.
Parents, guardians or companions who cannot hold the child on their lap or care for the child while travelling must bring a support person to hold and care for the child.
The parent, guardian, support person or companion must ensure that the child behaves in a safe and acceptable manner while travelling on TransHelp.
A lost item is a personal item (e.g., cash, jewelry, a wallet or ID) that is left behind on a TransHelp vehicle.
A TransHelp employee will bring a lost item to the TransHelp Office within 24 hours of finding the item. Employees will throw away perishable food that is left behind.
Reporting and reclaiming lost items
Report the details of your lost item to TransHelp as soon as you become aware of the loss.
Choose from these options to report the loss:
- Call 905-791-1015
- Email ZZG-TransHelp@peelregion.ca
- Report via your online TransHelp account
Client Services will contact you if your item has been found.
Client Services will return the item to you only if they're satisfied that you're the owner. When you arrive to collect the item, Client Services will ask you to provide:
- Proper identification
- A precise description of the item
- Where and when the item was lost
- Proof of ownership
Unclaimed items will be disposed of after 3 months.
TransHelp strictly prohibits unruly or disruptive behaviour that threatens or endangers the safety of passengers, employees or service animals.
If a passenger is disruptive, TransHelp may take one or more of the following actions:
- Reschedule or cancel the ride.
- Suspend service to the passenger.
- Require that a mandatory support person accompany the passenger for any future rides.
- Report the incident to the police.
TransHelp passengers who have experienced disruptive behaviour must contact TransHelp or emergency services to report the incident.