Other Important Information

View Entire Handbook - PDF
Services Provided
Other Important Information
Health and Safety
Important Information for Family Members and Friends
Back to Long Term Care Information

Collection of Personal Health Information

Under PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act), we collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person legally acting on your behalf. The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address and contact information, health and health care history and your OHIP number.

We may collect records of your visits to hospitals or specialists and information on the care you received during those visits including laboratory, x-ray and other medical results. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources where have obtained your consent to do so or where the law permits.

We collect, use, disclose and store your personal health information to:

  • Make decisions about the types of services you require
  • Provide direct client care
  • Communicate with other service providers on your behalf
  • Monitor the provision of services and evaluate your response to services provided
  • Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
  • Conduct risk management and quality improvement activities
  • Verify eligibility for services
  • Verify eligibility for Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care payment
  • Meet legal and regulatory requirements
  • Conduct research to improve health care services provided
  • Compile statistics
  • Teach
  • Fundraise to improve health care services and programs
  • Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law

We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying modification, use, disclosure and disposal. We also take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes for which you consented.

Our privacy contact person is the Director of Long Term Care. If you would like to know more about how your personal health information is collected, used, disclosed or stored, or about our privacy protection practices or to raise a concern you have with our practices, please contact the Director of Long Term Care:

To send regular mail:

  • Director of Long Term Care
    Region of Peel - Health Services
    PO Box 667 RPO Streetsville
    Mississauga, ON L5M 2C2

To send registered mail:

  • Director of Long Term Care
    Region of Peel - Health Services
    7120 Hurontario St.
    Mississauga, ON L5W 1N4

Telephone: 905-799-7700 Fax: 905-789-1604 or email PeelHealth@peelregion.ca

Family Council

Residents’ family members and friends meet on a regular basis with an opportunity to:

  • Support each other
  • Advocate for their loved ones
  • Express ideas and concerns to help create positive change
  • Create a forum of education and information sharing
  • Sponsor activities that will enrich the lives of Tall Pines residents

Financial Assistance Programs

The Ministry of Health sets daily and monthly rates for all types of accommodation, annually. In the event that a resident has insufficient income to cover the cost of the standard charge for a basic bed, a rate reduction may be requested upon presentation of documentary proof of income. The rate of reduction is effective starting in the month in which it is applied for, and is not retroactive to the date of admission.

If you wish to obtain information on government financial assistance programs, please speak with the Social Worker or the Financial Clerk in the Business Office.

Gift Giving

Gifts (items or money) of any sort are not to be offered to staff or volunteers. Quality care and attention will be provided to our residents without the need of gifts. Should you or family members wish to express appreciation, please speak to your Director of Care or Administrator to discuss an appropriate gesture.

Keeping You Informed

There are several avenues that we use to keep you and your family members informed:

  • Family News Bulletin Board located in the front hallway
  • Brochure and Pamphlet Display Stand located at the front door
  • Newsletter - The Tall Pines newsletter is published quarterly. A copy is delivered to your room and a copy mailed to your family members. It is also available on our website: www.peelregion.ca/long-term care and then follow the links to Tall Pines Long Term Care.
  • Our website www.peelregion.ca/long-term care
  • Automated Telephone System
  • Family Council bulletin board located in the front hallway near the 1st floor nursing hub
  • Resident Council bulletin board located in the front hallway near the 1st floor nursing hub
  • Leisure Activities Boards and calendars located in each resident home area.
  • Elevator bulletin boards

Memory Book

Your personal Memory Book is located on your bedside table. We encourage residents to share ‘your life story’ and capture special memories in the Memory Book. The Activation Therapists are happy to assist you in this venture. Photocopying photographs of sentimental value is a great way to share with others while keeping the original safe.


You may have newspapers delivered to Tall Pines. You or your family are responsible for notifying the newspaper company directly and for the cost of such newspapers.

Personal Belongings

The Centre supplies standard furniture and bedding. We encourage you to personalize your room. You may wish to bring any of the following:

  • Your favourite chair
  • Television with the console or on a table (with earphones for shared room)
  • Radio (with earphones for shared room)
  • Clock
  • Table lamp
  • Mirror
  • Pictures
  • Afghan or comforter

Any large items must be brought into the Centre via the receiving door. Our Facility Services Supervisor is glad to assist you to arrange for a delivery time. Please discuss with our Facility Services Supervisor prior to any major additions or changes to your room.

The Centre does not accept responsibility for your personal belongings or valuables. Jewellery and large sums of money are best kept with a family member. 

Personal Clothing

The laundry staff will label all clothes that residents bring into the Centre. Please leave them at the Nursing Hub on your floor:

Suggested Clothing List

Women Men
2 Housecoats 2 Housecoats
2 pairs of slippers (non-slip sole) 2 pairs of slippers (non-slip sole)
2 pairs of shoes (e.g. running with Velcro closures, flat with sturdy shoes with Velcro closures, flat support). Washable shoes are preferred. 2 pairs of shoes (e.g. running with Velcro closures, flat with sturdy shoes with Velcro closures, flat support). Washable shoes are preferred.
10 pairs of socks (no tight elastic top) 10 pairs of socks (no tight elastic top)
6 night gowns 6 night gowns
6 changes of bras and/or vests 6 changes of underwear
6 changes of underwear        6 pairs of trousers (washable) and/or jogging suits
6 dresses (washable) and/or slacks 2 sweaters
6 tops or blouses/jogging suits 1 hair brush
2 sweaters 1 electric razor
3 pairs of stockings 1 winter coat
1 hair brush 1 spring coat
3 slips Hat
1 winter coat  
cosmetic/costume jewellery   

Glasses, hearing aide(s), dentures (these items must be marked with resident’s name prior to arriving at Tall Pines and it is the responsibility of the resident or family member.

Clothing made from delicate materials such as silk or wool cannot be processed through our laundry services. 

Process for Raising a Concern

It is our goal to make each resident’s life is as comfortable and fulfilling as possible. Our staff will endeavour to ensure you and your family have the best experience at Tall Pines. Issues causing you concern should be addressed promptly.

There are several ways to communicate your concerns. You may speak with:

  • a staff member
  • the In-Charge Nurse
  • a Director of Care or Supervisor
  • Social Worker
  • Tall Pines Resident Council
  • the Director of Long Term Care

You may also contact: the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care who will assist residents and/or families who feel their concerns have not been addressed.  If you want more information, have a concern or want to register a complaint about a long-term care centre, you may call the Long-Term Care Action Line at 1-866-434-0144 – 7 days a week 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. or you may contact:

  • Compliance Advisor
    Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
    201 City Centre Drive, Suite 301
    Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4

Also you may contact the Financial Office of the Ministry of Health and Long term Care

  • Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
    201 City Centre Drive, Suite 301
    Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4 
  • Minister of Health and Long Term Care at
    (Simcoe West) 10th Floor, Hepburn Block
    80 Grosvenor Street
    Toronto, ON M7A 2C4

Resident Council

What is Resident Council?
  • provides a means for communication for residents of the Centre. Through Council, residents have a say in areas that directly affect them and can have input into policy making and planning of programs and services
  • provides a means of communication between the various departments and the residents. Staff can describe the programs and policies that will directly affect the residents
  • makes decisions regarding projects, leisure programs, special events and the spending of monies
  • brings to the attention of management, suggestions as how to improve the quality of life at Tall Pines Long Term Care Centre
  • encourages and develops discussions on concerns and issues affecting residents
  • maintains good communication between residents and management at Tall Pines Long Term Care Centre
  • ensures that all residents' views are represented at meetings
  • provides an opportunity to evaluate current programs and recommend new program initiatives

Resident Council meets monthly. The date, time and location of the meetings is on the Resident Council bulletin board located in the front hallway near the 1st floor nursing hub and on the monthly calendar.


Each room has a television outlet for Cable television and internet. You or your family members are responsible for setting up cable. For service call 1-888-764-3771.

Telephone Service

You are able to have telephone services in your bedroom; however it is your responsibility to contact the telephone service provider directly to initiate this service. For service call 310-2355.

Revised: Monday July 06 2015

Home | Contact Us | Search
A-Z Topic List | Privacy & Terms of Use

Smaller Text Larger Text

A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region