Counting Down the Top Five Things We Love About Breastfeeding
This year, we are celebrating Canadian Breastfeeding Week from October 1 to 7. As a Region, we are committed to helping more babies breastfeed for as long as possible.
Here are the Top Five Things We Love About Breastfeeding:
- It's FREE - A new baby brings many new expenses, but food for the first six months of a baby's life doesn't have to be one of them!
- No prep work required - Breast milk is a convenient, "instant" meal for babies.
- It's sustainable - Breast milk has the lowest carbon footprint of any meal.
- It's easy to digest and protects the baby - Breast milk is the perfect food for babies and has all the nutrients they need. It also protects from viruses and bacteria, lowering the risk of ear, respiratory and stomach infections.
- It meets the baby's changing needs - Breast milk for premature, newborn and older babies meets the baby's specific needs for growth.
Peel Public Health helps families to learn the skills needed to successfully breastfeed.
We provide FREE breastfeeding clinics and home visits, online how-to videos (in many languages), a Parenting in Peel web site and Facebook page, as well as a telephone support line where you can get help from a Public Health Nurse! Peel Public Health is Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) designated and has policies in place to support employees and visitors with breastfeeding their babies.
Free Breastfeeding Home Visits - 5 days a week:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Visits are available by calling the Region of Peel at 905-799-7700.
Free Walk-in Breastfeeding Clinics - 5 days a week:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. While not required, appointments can be made by calling the Region of Peel at 905-799-7700.
- Fairview Breastfeeding Clinic
Parkways West Plaza - 325 Central Pkwy W., Unit 21
- Brampton Breastfeeding Clinic
Bramalea Civic Centre - 150 Central Park Dr.
- Meadowvale Breastfeeding Clinic
Meadowvale Town Centre - 6975 Meadowvale Town Centre Cir., Unit 3
- Multi-language breastfeeding instructional videos
- Printable resources
- Information to help parents make an informed decision around infant feeding
- Link to our interactive Parenting in Peel Facebook page
Telephone Support: 905-799-7700
- Telephone support and counselling
- Referrals to other programs offered at Region of Peel