Garbage exemption dates
On your garbage exemption day:
- You can put unlimited amounts of acceptable garbage on the curb.
- You don't need garbage tags.
Check your collection calendar for your next garbage exemption day.
Garbage exemption schedule
The garbage exemption periods for 2020 are:
- January 27 – February 7
- June 15 – June 26
- September 14 – 25
Placement and collection
- Put your extra garbage out on your garbage collection day. Collectors won’t pick up garbage from the curb on recycling collection days.
- Collectors might collect your cart and excess garbage at different times during the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and excess garbage at the curb until 8 p.m. If neither are collected by 8 p.m., report a missed collection.
Placing extra garbage on the curb
- Put smaller garbage items in garbage bags.
- Place larger items separately on the curb.
- Place your excess garbage next to your garbage cart. Leave 1 m (3 ft.) of space between the excess garbage and the cart.
Excess garbage bag weight and size limits
A garbage bag placed at the curb for collection cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
- Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.