Garbage is collected every other week. Check your personalized waste calendar for your collection schedule.
This information applies to you if your address receives cart-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling carts, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Garbage carts (gray lid)
This video gives an overview of preparing garbage for your garbage cart.
Using your garbage cart
- To avoid odour and spills, it is preferred to put garbage in plastic bags before putting into the cart but it is not mandatory.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space around cart at curb.
- Make sure the lid is closed. The lid of your garbage cart must be closed for collection.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Do not place carts on top of snow banks.
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your garbage cart
You can change your garbage cart for a smaller or larger-sized cart. An exchange fee of $25 will apply. Get more details about changing a cart size.
Garbage carts that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Report a cart problem.
These items are a sample of acceptable garbage items.
- Aluminum foil
- Bread and milk tags
- Chewing gum
- Pet waste
- Absorbent pads from meat trays
- Feminine hygiene products
- Coffee cups
- Plastic cereal and cracker box liners
- Shrink wrap
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in the garbage.
During an exemption period you can put unlimited amounts of acceptable garbage on the curb.
You don’t need to use garbage bag tags during this time.
Collection date and time:
Find your next exemption day in your collection calendar.
The exemption period on your garbage collection day for 2019 and 2020 are during the weeks of:
June 17-21, 2019
June 24-28, 2019
September 16-20, 2019
September 23-27, 2019
January 27-31, 2020
February 3-7, 2020
- Be sure to put your extra garbage out on your garbage collection day, not on your recycling collection day. Collectors will not pick up excess garbage left at the curb on your recycling collection day.
- Collectors might collect your cart and excess garbage at different times during the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and excess garbage at the curb until 8 p.m. If neither are collected by 8 p.m., report a missed collection.
Placing extra garbage on the curb
- Put smaller garbage items in garbage bags.
- Place larger items separately on the curb.
- Place your excess garbage next to your garbage cart. Leave 1 m (3 ft.) of space between the excess garbage and the cart.
Excess garbage bag weight and size limits
A garbage bag placed at the curb for collection cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.