Garbage is collected every other week. Check your personalized waste calendar for your collection schedule.
This information applies to you if your address receives cart-based collection.
If you do not have garbage or recycling carts, visit Bag-Based Collection.
Garbage carts (gray lid)
This video gives an overview of preparing garbage for your garbage cart.
Using your garbage cart
- Place garbage items into plastic bags, then put the filled bags in your cart.
- Leave at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space around cart at curb.
- Make sure the lid is closed. The lid of your garbage cart must be closed for collection.
- Face the handles towards your home and point the arrows towards the street.
- Do not fasten lids with wire or bungee cords.
- Do not place carts on top of snow banks.
Exchanging, repairing or replacing your garbage cart
You can change your garbage cart for a smaller or larger-sized cart. An exchange fee of $25 will apply. Get more details about changing a cart size.
Garbage carts that are damaged, broken, lost or stolen will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, except in the case of negligence. Report a cart problem.
These items are a sample of acceptable garbage items.
- Aluminum foil
- Bread and milk tags
- Chewing gum
- Pet waste
- Absorbent pads from meat trays
- Feminine hygiene products
- Coffee cups
- Plastic cereal and cracker box liners
- Shrink wrap
Check How to Sort Your Waste to see if an item goes in the garbage.
During an exemption period there is no maximum amount of acceptable garbage you can put on the curb. Garbage bag tags are not required during exemption periods.
Garbage exemption periods take place on your scheduled garbage collection day:
- In May, after Victoria Day
- In September, after Labour Day
- In December and January, during or after the Christmas holiday
Check your collection calendar for your next exemption period.
Each excess garbage bag cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs).
- Be larger than 66 cm (26 in) wide and 90 cm (35 in) high.
- Be smaller than 30 cm (12 in) wide and 30 cm (12 in) high.
Be sure to put your extra garbage out on your garbage collection day, not on your recycling collection day. Excess garbage left at the curb on your recycling collection day will not be collected.
Place your excess garbage close to - but not on top of - your garbage cart, leaving at least 1 m (3 ft.) of clear space between your extra garbage item(s) and your cart.
Your garbage cart and your extra bagged garbage may be collected by separate trucks at different times on your collection day. Leave your garbage at the curb until 8 p.m. If it is not collected by 8 p.m., report a missed collection.