Travel Demand Forecasting
Travel demand forecasting predicts how various transportation policies and programs will affect travel pattern in the future.
For example, a travel demand forecast could predict how many vehicles are expected to use a new road.
The information in a travel demand forecast helps municipalities decide future transportation improvements, policies, services and programs.
The Region of Peel Travel Forecasting Model
Transportation Planning staff developed the Region of Peel's Travel Demand Forecasting Model in 1978.
This model has been used in a number of the Region's transportation planning initiatives, including:
- Planning of goods movement and sustainable transportation
- Regional Environmental Assessment Studies
- Regional Official Plan Schedules and Figures
- The Development Charges Update
- The Long Range Transportation Plan
- Traffic Impact Studies
Region of Peel Transportation staff continue to update this model to meet the constantly changing and challenging needs of travel forecasting in Peel.